1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Head teachers be granted "sabbatical" time to write the school development plan?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GhostGhost, Apr 15, 2011.

1. The non teaching Head teacher at my son's small primary school has been granted a month sabbatical to write the school development plan. It is a state school that has been judged to be "outstanding" by Ofsted. She is a non teaching head and will be writing the document from her holiday home in France during the first half of the summer term. I am a teacher at a different school and I have never heard of this happening before. Any thoughts on this?

2. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

Someone is having a laugh!
    This is bizarre on so many levels and raises many questions.
    I assume this has Govenor approval -in which case I would be asking questions of them with the LA.
    If the school can manage without the head for a month then what does she do when she is there? Who is taking on her duties? What are the financial implications for the school?
    I would also expect a school development plan to be an on-going process with in-put from across the school community -rather than a document per se... but hey I am not the head of an 'outstanding school'.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Welcome to TES, ghost

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've known heads have time out of school to do all sorts of paperwork. A whole month to write the SDP (Isn't it a SIP these days?) does seem a little excessive though.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'll send the Head a copy of my SIP and go to France in her place! ( and I thought SIPs weren't compulsory now in any case!)

6. Unusual, although check you have all the facts.
    I worked for a HT once who used to work 9-5 for four weeks of the summer holiday (as in *had* to be there rather than popping in to do things or working from home). She then disappeared off to America for 4 weeks each February. This was an agreement she had with the governors, as it was a large, demanding school and she could clear a lot of paperwork by working the summer without being disturbed. It also meant that the caretaker wasn't paid to keep the building open and supervise workmen over the summer.
    You also - as a parent - wouldn't know if the HT has been advised to take some time out on medical grounds or to recover from an operation which has been scheduled just before the sabbatical, but is conscientious enough to take the SDP with her.

7. I would have to question what she's doing with all her non-teaching time if she needs a whole month to write the SDP. Surely that's what she should be doing with her time? My HT & I wrote our SDP together on a variety of evenings after school-can I have a holiday to France too?
    Do you know any of the governors? If so, I would ask them if it has been agreed to at a meeting, and if not, it certainly needs raised.
    How big is the school? Is there a deputy who could reasonably take on the duties?