1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Head be able to promote wife to Assistant Head

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by frampidius, Nov 16, 2016.

1. frampidius

frampidius New commenter

Should I be saying anything (complaining) to governors if the Head is currently in the process of having an internal advert for 2 Assistant Heads. His wife (current Phase leader and acting Assistant head with one other) is in prime position for one position. There is nothing that you can put a finger on, but there are too many coincidences to believe that nothing is showing favouritism. The SLT would consist of Head, his wife and one other, so I'm sure that it won't be balanced. Does anyone else have alarm bells ringing, or is it just me?!

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Are the governors involved? They would be in the schools I worked in.

(But yes, sounds unhealthy).

3. frampidius

frampidius New commenter

They are, but appear to be oblivious/too scared to rock the boat or other!

stonerose likes this.
  4. frampidius

frampidius New commenter

Is there anyone else that could give advice/help?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We had the head and AH as a married couple at a complete nightmare school.
    The AH was there already and not liked or trusted at all, then governors appointed the spouse as the head. Lots of people handed in notice on the spot, without posts to go to.
    The appointment started in the September and the DH left at Christmas, with this spouse then taking on that role in all but name.
    By the summer almost all teachers had left or were looking.
    It was truly the most horrific situation ever.
    The leaving head had managed to keep a bit of a lid in the worst of the nastiness and bullying of the AH, but obviously, no-one could go to the new head to complain.

However, if both members of staff already work in the school and are good and decent people, with a keen sense of professionalism, then why not? If all is working well while the wife is acting AH, then it will probably all work well if given the post. Not sure I'd want to be the 'one other' but again, they are presumably used to it.

Applications and appointments must be fair, and not allowing someone to apply or be successful because of marital status/situation is almost certainly against guidance.

6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Wow! Sounds like your school is heading for a train crash!
    Does the CoG know about this? If they don't, they need to be made aware. Usually an SLT appointment is confirmed by CoG aswell as HT having input.
    If you want my honest opinion, think it will cause issues if the HT's wife is promoted to AHT in the same school- no matter how professional they both are. You will always get the 'workplace gossip' and you'll find the some middle leaders will probably leave as they see the promotion as 'favouritised'..
    HT's wife should really apply for an AHT role at different school. No issues then.

Also, what is the SLT set up? 1 X HT, 1 X DHT and 2 X AHT or just 1 X HT and 2 X AHT taking on shared responsibilities of the Deputy Headteacher role?

stonerose, Jesmond12 and frampidius like this.
  7. frampidius

frampidius New commenter

CoG does know and knows that quite a number of staff are unhappy, can't seem to do much?! The SLT is just made up of HT, 2x AHT with shared responsibilities. So, small for a mid sized primary...

stonerose likes this.
  8. frampidius

frampidius New commenter

Plus - there are no middle leaders!

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Much depends on the actual couple and at the end of the day doubt there's much you can do about it without 'rocking the boat', but may definitely be time to start looking at those job adverts.;)

stonerose and frampidius like this.
  10. frampidius

frampidius New commenter

Yessirreee!

stonerose and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don't see an issue.

The days of head teachers running a personal fiefdom have gone. If results are s*** then they go. There is no value in appointing someone not up to it. The doe and ofsted are the check and balance on the position

Also the governing body will have a say on appointments.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like to be the third member of the slt. Neither do I think that it is a healthy for their relationship. For an average teacher, I am not sure you can make wild assumptions.

This woman deserves a fair chance

12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

In my school the appointment panel would consist of myself, the C of G and three other governors. I would be overruled if the governors were not happy with any candidate.

It would be an absolute minefield in many areas.

Lara mfl 05 and frampidius like this.
  13. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

I'd certainly be prepared to give them a chance as my superiors, but my concern would be that governors aren't insisting on allowing external applicants. The governors in my school are really trusting in my head, but would never allow this to happen.

If they're happy to roll over on this, what else will they let slide?

I once worked with my partner for a few months and it took a lot of effort to try not to talk shop at home. Imagine how all-consuming it'd become with the stress of running a place and not being able to switch off at home.

frampidius and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If I were a head, the last thing I'd want would be Mrs P in the office next door. I'd never be able to escape the job or have a good chunter to a sympathetic outsider.
    Although, of course Mrs P were to do the job, I'd never need to let off steam!

Separate workplaces are generally good.

15. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

My place have had a lot of internal appointments, even to SLT. If you know someone is a good candidate, and you don't want to lose them then why keep looking?

It is like meeting a girl you like and instead of committing to her, keeping looking. Eventually you will lose both!

16. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

My curmudgeonly side says that relationships between colleagues should be illegal full stop, my more liberal side says if the HTs wife is the best candidate why not? The reality falls somewhere in between, its a bit 'inbred' but the Sun will still rise in the east!

17. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Agree with scienceteachasghost about workplace relationships. The possible chances of conflict of interest are numerous but my experience of seeing such situations nepotism is alive and well in schools today. Frankwholley's comment about 'unhealthy' is spot on.

Not sure Framp, whether you read a contribution to The Guardian's 'Secret Teacher on this subject of nepotism in school appointments, but if it is still accessible it may help you to feel your not alone. It's one teachers thoughts about this issue.

Take note of Lara's advice and start to polish up that CV now. and be ready for the off!!! Luckily, teachers are in short supply. No doubt the 'Bonnie and Clyde' of your school won't be far behind you!;)

frampidius and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Many small businesses are run by husband and wife teams - it is not unusual in the world outside teaching.

DYNAMO67 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

But the school isn't a small business, owned & run by a family (unless the OP is talking about a sll, private school). If it's an academy or maintained school we're talking about public money here.

IMHO the HT shouldn't be on the appointment panel, or take a rile in the decision. Conflict of interests...(I'm not a lawyer, but an unsuccessful candidate might well feel they hadn't been treated fairly, I think).

20. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Hahahahahhahaahahahaha!! :p:rolleyes: