1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should he be doing more??

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by blueone, Mar 2, 2011.

1. blueone

blueone New commenter

My LO is 5 months and im a little concerned over his development. I have a few mummy friends with babies a similar age and their LOs are all over the place. They grab, kick, sqirm, bounce, roll, are strong on their legs etc.. and my LO does very little. Infact the only things he really does are lay on his back and kick and he can now sit up quite steadily. Im just a bit worried that at this age he should be doing a little more? He isnt rolling over either. He is the biggest baby out of the others and i dont know if this is having an effect. Or is he just lazy? I was determined not to turn into a mum who compares him to other LOs but its hard when you think there is a problem.

2. blueone

blueone New commenter

My LO is 5 months and im a little concerned over his development. I have a few mummy friends with babies a similar age and their LOs are all over the place. They grab, kick, sqirm, bounce, roll, are strong on their legs etc.. and my LO does very little. Infact the only things he really does are lay on his back and kick and he can now sit up quite steadily. Im just a bit worried that at this age he should be doing a little more? He isnt rolling over either. He is the biggest baby out of the others and i dont know if this is having an effect. Or is he just lazy? I was determined not to turn into a mum who compares him to other LOs but its hard when you think there is a problem.

3. Hi Blue, I was just wondering where you had got to! How are you doing, I've not heard from you for a while. Surprise, surprise J is exactly the same as yours!! He is trying to roll but can't go over at all. He lies on his back and kicks like mad and waves his arms, but really doesn't move much other than that. He can sit well with a bit of support, but still can't do it unaided. I think his CLL development is very advanced but his physical development is definitely behind others his age- I too don't know whether this is because he is big. Your LO has always sounded the same as mine in your posts, so I wonder if they are just more interested in the communication side of things rather than moving!! He is giving kisses and high fives and picks things like this up really well, but I just can't imagine him crawling as he HATES being on his tummy! My sisters LO is 6 weeks older than mine (27 weeks) and she is only just rolling onto her side and has just started to sit unaided. She is quite big too.

4. My LO is 5 months and seems similar to yours in terms of physical development. He kicks and waves his arms when he's laid on his back. He will roll to the side, but not over, to look at something or someone. He has just started to reach out to grab things, but he doesn't do this accurately. He will not hold his head up for very long during tummy time. I have a big baby too, but I am not sure whether this makes a difference or not!
    Me too! But it is hard not to compare isn't it? Now I understand why so many parents are obsessed with how their child is doing compared with the rest of the class!
    I think the HV visits for a developmental check at around 9 months. You could mention your concerns then (if you still have them), or ask for a visit earlier. Do you have a drop in at your local Children's Centre? I often ask about development etc when I get my LO weighed.
    I wouldn't worry until he is a bit older. Most babies I know are only just rolling and lifting up their heads fully at about 6 months old.

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi! My 3 didn't move around until waaay after that age. I really wouldn't worry x

6. I wouldn't worry either. My LO didn't roll until 8 months and he hated tummy time so we just never ever did it (he just used to cry so there seemed to be no point)! Then suddenly at the 8 month mark he just decided to do everything all together. He's 9 months tomorrow and is not only rolling, but is crawling and can stand himself up. Don't worry - they just all do things at their own pace.
    x

7. Oh, and he was only 6lbs at birth, so I don't think that size is a particular issue.
    x

8. handrail

handrail New commenter

My boy is just over 5 months and i've been wondering the same. Went to a baby group yesterday and there were 2 little girls roughly the same age who were much more advanced, so strong on their tummies and looked like it wouldn't be long before they are crawling. I know we shouldn't compare but it's hard not to. People do sometimes say boys are lazier, I don't know :eek:s
    I feel like lately he is showing signs that he wants to move, he rolls over onto his side and did fully roll once but hasn't done it since, he's interested in everything - likes banging things with his hands at the moment. He had a paddy the other day when I took a tube of cream off him he'd picked up and wanted to chew, so funny! My LO can't sit up yet, he slumps forwards but I don't think it will be too long. He's still not keen on being on his tummy and slumps his head and cries after a while. I'm sure you don't need to be concerned blueone. Oh and my baby isn't particularly big so not sure size makes a difference.

9. My LO is 4 and a bit months and shows no sign of rolling, and he is also quite quiet, especially in company. I was reading a book that says that babies all have their own strengths and interests - some are watchers, some are movers, some are talkers, and some are bit of everything - my LO is a definite watcher (I don't know if that is polite for lazy though [​IMG] )

10. blueone

blueone New commenter

Thanks for your replies everyone, i feel more reassured now! I guess all babies are different. I think my LO is a quiet one, he seems to me a little shy (maybe his personality is already showing) and just sits back and watches. He will probably do everything all at once and shock the hell out of me!!
    Hey Bruno, im not surprised your J is like my J! But i have to ask what is CLL development? Im doing really well, thanks! Hope you are too x

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

also blueone, firstborn babies can often lack the confidence that their siblings end up having. Just my personal observation over the years!

12. Sorry, early years teacher speak got the better of me! It's Communication, Language and Literacy in the Early Years Foundation Stage. Glad to hear that you are well, I am doing ok too x

13. Don't worry about it- they all vary, some like the world to come to them. I was a 'late developer' but I got there in the end and it didn't effect me long term! It is hard though, especially when you get the 'my baby is so advanced!' style mother. I had one mother tell me 'I didn't ask for my baby to be so advanced- she just is!' ..She also claimed her baby would be a model [​IMG]. Though I can't see anything advanced about her!
    My girl seems very average- hits milestones pretty much on average. Enjoy the still stage- mine is just getting mobile, and it is exciting but she does like getting herself into danger.

It doesn't mean anything if you have an early or a late crawler- it doesn't go on their CV!

14. I think comparisons are really dangerous. In general I think it's better to have friends whose babies aren't the same age! My experience of all this is that the first comparison is weight and my daughter was always the lightest baby. Therefore I started to avoid comparisons pretty quickly as (some) people with bigger babies acted like there was something wrong with her.
    Your son sounds gorgeous and completely normal. Sitting up at 5 months is really good - why would he roll over if he hates being on his front? It's completely illogical if you think about it. I also think that babies tend to be 'movers' or 'talkers' my daughter was a mover but her speech was slower than her more sedentary friends. If you think about it babies that are slower to move have more reason to talk, whereas movers physically get what they want. She's now nearly 2 and all has pretty much evened out.