1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should fizzy drinks be taxed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34514350

"Advisers told the Commons Health Select Committee that studies suggested a tax of 20p per litre on sugar-sweetened beverages would prevent 180,000 cases of obesity in the UK and raise between £300m and £1bn of revenue."

20p per litre doesn't sound like much of a deterrent. Should the tax be in line with the level of tax on alcohol and tobacco?

P.S TES, I spelt litre correctly, but your spellchecker thinks I didn't. Might I remind you that as part of the EU and subject to using metric measures, the British know how to spell this word better than the Yanks.

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've got some lovely gooseberry and raspberry cordial in the fridge. Nothing artificial in it at all, and absolutely delicious. Brand name Kerfuffle, since you ask, and sweetened with sugar.

The thing is, I might drink a glass, heavily diluted, every day or so. I don't swill coke and my one weakness is orangina, which I probably drink once every month or so.

Should fruit juice also be heavily taxed? It's not the healthiest drink on the planet, when all's said and done.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Cheap drinks? Probably.

To prevent kids from developing such a sweet tooth. Parents shouldn't be offering these drinks to kids and they might be deterred if they cost more.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

That would apply to artificially sweetened drinks too, surely.

5. Duke of York

It strikes me as odd that some things known to be hazardous to health are taxed to restrict their use and other things, for example prescription drugs are restricted from general sale.

You can't even buy enough paracetamol to commit suicide with in a single transaction now. Would a law that restricted the volume of sugary drinks that could be sold in a single transaction be a better way of dealing with this?

Ban free tops ups of Coca Cola. Add a tax on tea as well, since sugar if often added to it. That would wipe the smile off the faces smug gits who tut-tut about alcohol and fags, wouldn't it?

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Those of us who live near the south coast would have even more goods to bring back cheap from France!

Duke of York likes this.
  7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Hee hee! Like it, FF.

More tax on tea? Hands off my sugarless cuppa please.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Should we tax bramley apples, gooseberries and rhubarb because they're only nice with added sugar?

9. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I cannot understand why alcohol isn't more heavily taxed, if only to offset the losses from tobacco. It does far more harm than sugar - a few fillings are nothing set next to the bill for a city Saturday night; and diabetes is well cheaper to treat than the many disorders caused by boozing, even leaving out the social costs. Look at that alcoholic in Bradford. I can't tell you how many like her there were when I was teaching in inner-city Leeds. http://news.sky.com/story/1149891/mummified-boy-mother-amanda-hutton-guilty

10. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

So if there were a tax on sugary drinks, 180,000 would their ideal weight and not lardies. Random speculation.
    Would people with a current ideal weight become underweight?

11. Duke of York

We'll have to await Public Health England's report before we can judge if it's random speculation, Madge. Odd that it hasn't been forthcoming don't yer think?

Meanwhile you might want to watch this series of informative videos which explains how the world became obese in a relatively short period of time and the efforts the sugar industry have been making to lobby politicians for the status quo to remain.

12. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

As long as diet coke isn't taxed... all that asparteme does wonders for the heart.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

How about... instead of taxing fizzy drinks... we subsidise healthy options...

like beer...

No wait that's not one... erm...

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i doubt it as sugar is only one o many things which affect weight both in adults and children
    A lot of sugar is hidden in food so maybe if we dont have that we can have nice bland food,or in preserving we can have nice rotten food.
    As per usual its one group mouthing off and others trying to claim credit......the whole problem is both the hidden sugars and parents who do not realise what a healthy diet is sometimes.
    Ps you can blame Elizabeth the 1st if you want she stamped approval up on sugar and in particular it being used in Marzipan and staple sweet of Elizabethans.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There'll be trouble at harbours.

16. BobbyPhilips

I might not. Like most times I will go for freedom to choose not state dictation,

17. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

A freedom the rest of us pay for the consequences of?

18. BobbyPhilips

Indeed. We spend a lot of money paying for people's poor decisions.

19. Duke of York

So you'd agree with me then that the tax on booze and fags ought to be knocked on the head.

20. BobbyPhilips

It's traditional revenue raising but is too high. Soft drinks are already subject to 20% tax, that's enough.

Duke of York likes this.