1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Easter continue to be a moveable feast?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Mar 25, 2016.

?

Should Easter occur on a fixed date like Christmas does?

1. Yes

35.7%
  2. No

21.4%
  3. I really couldn't give a toss

35.7%
  4. It would make more sense to have Christmas in January, because there'd be a better chance of snow.

7.1%
  5. Christmas in January would be brilliant, because we could buy our presents in the sales.

21.4%
  6. I'll think about this when I'm sober

21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

When I started the car after taking the mutt for his walk along the seashore this afternoon, the news came on the wireless. It told me that Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, thinks it's time a fixed date was set for Easter and reckoned it would be possible to achieve this within five to ten years.

Five to ten years? I reckon I could sort it out in five to ten seconds. OK, maybe minutes if it needs a study of the most likely weekends when it's going to be sunny.

It fascinates me how it's been simple to set the date of Christmas as an annual event to celebrate the birth of Christ, when the probability is that nobody knows exactly when he was born, but the celebration of his resurrection a couple of days after he was crucified, will be far more simple to date, since the Romans were good at keeping records and were so fascinated by the calendar they decided to change it to make it more workable.

As an atheist, I have to say I'm extremely grateful for Christianity for giving us two decent breaks from our yearly toil and although the Christian messages they are hoping to impart are lost on me, I'm mindful that without having those two dates in our calendar, our bosses would be cracking their whips all year long.

So how about having a vote on it? Would you prefer it if you couldn't tell from one year to the next when Easter will be, or would you prefer it to be set on a fixed date? Would you prefer it if Christmas was also a moveable feast, or would that make it imposssible for you to budget for?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I like the uncertainty - both of the date year by year and that of the resurrection.....

PS. Christmas on the 25th December is good for me....it means I never forget my mom's birthday on the 23rd - flowers for the birthday, godiva chocolates for Christmas.

3. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I think Easter, Halloween and Christmas should all be in January, then we could buy things in the sales, and have a relatively sane shopping experience for the rest of the year.

I went to do my regular shopping on Thursday, and the supermarket was crammed full with people panic buying because the shops were going to be closed for a day. It's insane.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

Our LA now has the Easter holiday the first two weeks of April, regardless of whether it encompasses Easter Sunday. This year is super because we get Good Friday and Easter Monday off as well.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Noticed some schools taking a long weekend this Easter and then two weeks later in April. Makes sense, doesn't it?

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Someone on t'box mentioned the first or second weekend in April. Sounds about right to me, and the retirees will be able to book their long breaks on the Costa Packet round it.

7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Although it adds variety, it amazes me that in 2016 we are basing a celebration on the position of the Moon (as much as that is the tradition.) I would go further and have a perpetual day calendar system with the 'spare' day perhaps a bank holiday at the end of the year (it could become tradition to 'sort out your life' on the last day of the year) or in late June/early July as a much needed summer BH. I would start Jan 1st with a Saturday so, with bank holiday, most people go back to work on the 4th which is not too bad!

8. scienceteachasghost

And when I have a family, I will try and sell the 'meal and TV on 25th, presents on 27th' model as then everyone can get twice the presents for the same price/same presents for half the price!

9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I'm not sure that one day would be quite enough for me. I've been trying for 60+ years and it's still well unsorted.

10. scienceteachasghost

My last comment - I would put Christmas on the 21st December to coincide with the solstice (as pagan as it might seem.)

Very last comment - what would be interesting is if, every year, Christmas, Vaentines, Easter, Halloween, Bonfire Night and (say) Mothers Day were decided from a lottery machine containing the 365 days of the year. To add to the fun, after each celebration is paired with the date, the ball would go back in to the machine allowing for the tantalising possibility of once-in-a-lifetime multicelebrations such as Christmastines (where you show your love by dressing in a Santa outfit?) Or Easterween, where new Life and Death are celebrated simultaneously (cue ridiculous ideas like chocolate eggs containing candy skeletons!)

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

That is why Christmas is there, and why Easter is where it is. The dates were invented to try to placate the pagans so that they accepted Christian festivals instead of running round Stonehenge starkers (mind you thats a bit nippy on Dec 21st).

wanet likes this.
  12. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Pagans are so easy to please. Give them a few days holiday, pack the shelves with festival themed goods and organise a couple of pre-festival sales and they'll accept anything. Panem et circenses. :)

13. scienceteachasghost

Just for the hell of it I have done a draw using a random number generator (converting calendar days into Julian dates and back) and this is what it might look like.........

Christmas - 6th July
    Valentines - 9th September
    Easter - 29th December
    Halloween - 5th October
    Bonfire Night - 7th August
    Mothers Day - 15th March

PS - Mothers Day and Halloween 'fall about right,' the rest are outrageously 'out!'

14. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

The proposal is not to fix the date of Easter, but only to restrain it to within one week; so that the Friday and Sunday will remain the major days.

15. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

This is true. But equally true is that if the stories told about the birth of Christ are anywhere near true, the birth was not in midwinter.

16. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

It looks as if you have repeated my post. That is because I am being premoderated and you wouldn't have seen it until today. Very irritating. Does nothing for flow. I often want to post something and don't bother because by the time it appears the moment is over the hills and far away.