1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should CPD be used to enlist teachers to work in challenging schools?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 23, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘CPD should be used as a tool to recruit experienced teachers to the challenging schools where they are most needed, a leading academic has suggested.

Professor Becky Allen, director of the Centre for Education Improvement Science at the UCL Institute of Education, said schools that serve the most disadvantaged communities are most likely to have teachers who are “unqualified, inexperienced, teaching outside their subject”.’

What are your views about the suggestion? What are your views about CPD in general? Would the idea help to make CPD more effective? Is there enough time for teachers to do CPD and work together? Do teachers have the opportunity to learn and widen their pedagogy experience in all schools?

https://www.tes.com/news/use-cpd-recruit-teachers-challenging-areas

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Does it really make a difference any more what the opinions of regular classroom teachers are on dubious suggestions like these.

jlishman2158, hammie and stonerose like this.
  3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

We really are scraping the barrel now.

Here's a thing. how about providing proper CPD sessions for all teachers, not some half-***** thrown together at the last minute thing that someone on the greasy pole found on t'internet 1/2 before.

I have got about as much chance of getting the CPD I need and requested as getting paid in real terms what I was a decade ago, in the next decade.

4. install

install Star commenter

Its too late - teachers are leaving. And people don't respect teachers much really anymore. Uk society views teachers as child minders now.

And there are .. plenty of OFSTED types who could easily have a go at teaching in challenging schools for.a year or two surely? And what about some headteachers - some who refuse to teach in their own schools- too?

And ... Its always the same problem: lots of well paid critics all refusing to roll up.their own sleeves. :cool:

5. lydiafondufe

lydiafondufe New commenter

CPD is good but should be provided to all teachers and I believe teachers can do CPD alongside work.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

With my experience of CPD in a 30+ year teaching career, the thought of more CPD would encourage me to leave.

I remember spending the best part of a year doing a dissertation for a qualification from the Teacher Learning Academy (TLA) which was an offshoot of the GTCE (General teaching Council for England). I even got a nice shiny certificate which I had on display in my classroom and, remarkably, it never had penises drawn on it! OK, I made most of my dissertation because I couldn't be a* sed to do the research required but after all that creative thought and bullsh *t, when Gove abolished the GTCE, the TLA also went to the wall leaving me with a worthless certificate that was even more worthless than it was before!

jlishman2158, blazer and stonerose like this.
  7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

As most schools do not differentiate any from of training beyond allowing the management to slope off after about ten minutes, this is all a bit of a waste of time writing or reading it.

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

So very true Hammie.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm earning nicely as supply in the challenging schools and these schools are challenging precisely because they can't retain staff who will could improve it. So they pay a fortune for me and I don't improve it, just delay it getting worse by a very slight amount.

Consequently I'm all for this initiative because it'll do nothing for staff, they'll still leave due to stress and I'll be on the (rather uncomfortable) gravy train for a few years more.

Is the initiative any good? Of course not but what will work under this system with over-pressured teachers bailing out.

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Increased CPD! Surely, aversion therapy.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why not just re-introduce the inner city premium on pay for 'challenging' schools? It worked in the past.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why would someone in a nice school with compliant kids chuck that in to go and work in Hell High just because some consultant in suit earning 5x per day what those in the audience earn tells them to?