1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should/could I get a pay rise?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by maybeshescrazy, Jan 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. maybeshescrazy

maybeshescrazy New commenter

Hi all,

I work in a two-person department and thus far have shared teaching two ks4 classes of the same qualification with my department leader.

Next year we're moving to two different qualifications meaning we would each be assigned to and responsible for our own class.

I feel as if I have sole responsibility for the delivering and assessment of a ks4 course within the school I should get some recognition of that in my pay... But am I making this up in my head or is there a precedent for that sort of thing?

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not sure why you believe this? It is normal really for that to happen - I am sure all teachers that do this would like extra pay.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

You can get a payrise if, IF, it says so in your school's Pay Policy. You should have a copy, either in the staffroom or on the Staff section of your school intranet.

But I agree here with @wanet ; it would be extremely unusual for this to be so. Just telling you so that you don't get your hopes up too much . . .

Best wishes

4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

You will get a pay rise when you go through your performance review process, apart from that you are doing what an experienced teacher is supposed to do. Consider it useful experience towards some promotion in the future.