1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should children (under 16s) "study"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eureka!, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I say no. Children should learn good numeracy and literacy through lots of practice - and any thing else they might show an interest in - playing an instrument, for example.

"Study" - the very word sends shudders down my spine!

I suggest that the things children are made to study are RIDICULOUS.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Don't tell me
    You'll be especially disturbed by ox-bow lakes
    Again

Eureka! likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Did you never study to be what you are.or were you walking along and sort of stumble into it?

lexus300 likes this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What do you mean by 'study'?

5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I have "studied" very little computer programming, but I have practiced it an awful lot.

I have never studied writing, but I do quite a lot of that on here, and I'm reasonably good at that too.

6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Get given subject content to learn and then get tested on it.

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Hmmm!! My definition of 'study' is slightly different. It would include independent research, leading the student into a deeper knowledge of the subject. Learn and then get tested sounds more like the education 'Payment by Results' so beloved in the 18 hundreds.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You're possibly confusing both activities, the last certainly, with typing.

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

But you haven't said whether children should do it @Dragonlady30 !

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I know that function; anec(data).

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Tricky to learn a foreign language without some 'study' (in your sense) - you know, vocab, verb tenses etc.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Hard to put up shelves efficiently without some study of number and units.

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Everyone should do it, whether they are to be tested on it or not. My little grandboy is a late reader and everyday he attempts to learn to recognise words. That is 'study'.- ie the effort to concentrate to learn something.What's your quibble with that? Would you not agree that it would be useful for him to learn to read?

14. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

My incy little quibble is with what the education system makes children study.

Learning to read is NOT generally regarded as study in this sense. Nor is putting up shelves :rolleyes:

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I think we over assess students usually at the expense of learning time and experience.
    Too much time and effort on how to pass exams/assignments and not enough teaching and learning.
    My comments are based on 27 years FE teaching experience, so, School Teachers 'stay calm', I leave comment on schools to the experts.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh @Lascarina!

Don't get me started on the teaching of reading! Poor lamb. I'd say we're really poor at helping kids learn to read.

You note that I don't say we're poor at TEACHING reading. I don't much care about that. I worry about children LEARNING to read. We're not at all good at giving them the opportunities to do that in ways which suit their infant brains.

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Being older than some on here can I point out that in 1953 when I started at infant school most new starters could already read (up to a point), count into double figures and tie their shoe laces. What is the state of play now?

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Is you problem the content or the act of studying? Specifiy which and then define what you mean by "study".

Children "study" stuff all the time. I have a nephew who "studies" Dr. Who by learning all sorts of dull ***** interesting facts about the planets, aliens and merits of different sonic screwdrivers. He revises information constantly and recites it enthusiastically to anyone who will listen. Aside from the mind numbing tedium of listening to him, why would you prevent him from doing it?

One man's oxbow lake is another man's sonic screwdriver.

19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

So the objection is that the content is given? And yet you want to "give" literacy and numeracy content. Meh. You're just arguing to impose a curriculum you favour not any real educational revolution.

cissy3 and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  20. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

@Eureka!

Assuming you're right and the under-16s shouldn't "study", how do you envisage child care working?