1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Britain pay reparations for slavery?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I get more then a little bit fed up with certain groups of the population who delve into the History books and try and blame it for all of their current woes. "And give us some cash for it please"

If they bothered to follow current affairs they would realise that slavery is still alive and well and not just restricted to one race.

Also if they really cared, they would press for money to be spend in combating modern day slavery (and people trafficing) and not in reparations for historical events.

I'm not holding my breath they will.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Only if Jamaica pays us reparations for loud reggae music and for allowing Lenny Henry's forbears to migrate to Dudley.

solvacrime and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, where would it end?

What about the Norsemen? The Vandals? Picts and Goths? How much do they owe us?

Maybe we're on to something here.

It's almost insulting really. "Give us some money and we'll forget about torture and lives lost. Thanks." No.

solvacrime and FolkFan like this.
  5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Slavery is as old as mankind. We were not the only perpetrators, even those who were taken from Africa by us had themselves committed similar acts along with genocide when it suited them. They still practice such things.

solvacrime and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

In a word - no. It wasn't illegal at the time even if it was immoral. Too far in the past.

solvacrime likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

This nation is daft enough to give those who ask loads and loads of money.
    Because Jamaica's economy is in disrepair is not out fault. Now they want us to pay for the 'sins' ( not that it was considered a sin in those days) of our forefathers.and yes we did profit greatly out of the land and the use of folks as slaves...but then so did lots of other countries..next we will have American folk claiming money as we invaded their country.
    Its so stupid and the past is the past......you cannot change it and throwing money at it wont solve the issues.
    As Jamaica seemingly doesnt want to be part of out Commonwealth anyway maybe we should tell them to just get on their bike.
    No doubt we are stupid enough to cough up .

8. grumpydogwoman

No, Cameron has told them to forget it.

We're building them a lovely prison to they can have their crims back. What more do they want?

I still think we should charge the French. A lot of their Protestants came our way. And as for William of Normandy!!!!

solvacrime likes this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Don't push your luck, Doll! That's my family, from both sides, that you're complaining about.

10. grumpydogwoman

Yay! I get 'doll'!

RESULT.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They could be repatriated to Africa and the Island returned to those they displaced. At our expense, of course.
    Then we could consider the USA.

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No Britain should not. This for me falls into the 'where does it all end?' school of thought.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Whilst the slave trade that filled the Carribean islands with Africans was largely run by white Europeans, the unpalatable truth for some is that they couldn't have done it without the local knowledge and assistance of other Africans. These native slavers went up country from the coast, captured local people as slaves and marched them back in chains to sell to the Europeans. Nobody's hands are completely clean in any of it.

14. grumpydogwoman

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If there were ex-slaves still alive I'd say yes. If there were their children alive, I'd say yes.

But now? ... too long ago. Yes it was wrong, yes we were immoral... but it was legal and proper for the time.

My ancestors left Ireland after the potato famine for Scotland. I don't really see how it impacted my life, or led to my life being what it to this day. Just move on.

16. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Are any of the slaves still alive? Considering that nobody in my family owned slaves, captured and traded them or benefited directly from the slave trade, I can't see that I owe any reparations. Different matter entirely for the offspring of slave owners and traders who made their fortunes from other people's misery.. Make them cough up if anyone has to.

phlogiston likes this.
  18. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

That's where the saying 'being sold down the river' comes from.

solvacrime likes this.
  19. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

20. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

Precisely. There is no end along that track.