1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should authors be making money out of George Floyd?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by EC_Resources, Jun 12, 2020.

1. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

Since Tes has stopped authors selling corona related resources (which is understandable), I'm wondering whether the same approach should be taken to the numerous resources that are now being sold, which use George Floyd pictures which are NOT AVAILABLE FOR CREATIVE COMMONS USE and also pretty damn disrespectful.

In the current climate - is Tes not worried about this being picked up on my the anti-paid resources factions? This is a bad look for Tes - people are profiting from the George Floyd murder by using his image without permission to make money.

I know someone has reported one of them and has been told that he has to prove the person doesn't have permission to use it - well the image is not available for re-use, but this is one of so many, some are trending on the front page too. So people who are against George Floyd's image being used without permission for money are now expected to report every case of this?

Tes, why don't you put out an announcement? It worked for corona! I do actually care about the reputation of this platform.

If they are free - fair enough, but seriously, I hate to use this word - but this is majorly problematic.

Thanks!
    Emily

2. vcurrie19

vcurrie19 New commenter

Nobody should be expected to report (or prove a lack of permission) any of these resources. It is beyond comprehension why anyone would seek to make money off of this. Isn't it TES's job to regulate this content, or at least make it known that people should NOT be doing this?

TheoGriff and Lead_Practitioner like this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Using images or the name of George Floyd on TES Resources is morally wrong, in my view.

How can our colleagues do this?

If he were your father, your brother, your lover, would you want his memory treated this way?

Shame on the authors.

EC_Resources and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  4. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Thanks for asking an important question.

Our decision to only allow free sharing of coronavirus resources was based on the fact that the situation was unprecedented and directly affected schools and the working lives of all teachers.

We are unable to take the same approach with Black Lives Matter resources for several reasons. We already have many free and paid resources available on the site regarding Black Lives Matter, anti-racism, black history and related topics. These are deep and widespread issues that cannot be as neatly defined as mentions of coronavirus. Our response to coronavirus was due to a unique situation and cannot be seen as a precedent for our future responses to other topical issues.

On the subject of copyright, as a hosting platform we ask authors to confirm that they have the rights to all included material when they upload and we therefore act in good faith that they have been truthful. Where individuals have copyright concerns we ask for reports from copyright holders. We do, also, ask users to notify us when they spot potential copyright infringement in a resource in order to serve our community better. However, we cannot judge whether a resource violates third party rights. Therefore, we require evidence from the reporter in order to make sure that the concerns are valid and to prevent misuse of our reporting system. Otherwise we must assume that the author has correctly indicated that they have sought appropriate permissions from the copyright holder.