1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should a reception class be having a literacy hour?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by misspotter, Feb 3, 2010.

1. I do phonics daily, everyone has a guided reading session once a week.
    We have a whole class book based input and then 2 groups do a focus activity of writing each day.
    I try and read 3 stories a day but it doesn't always happen

2. We do my readers as often as possible (every day for some). We also have a daily phonics session, a daily literacy input (usually with a follow-up activity), and as many stories, show and tell sessions, etc that we can.

3. We have phonics x 5 shared reading/writing x4 guided reading enough slots for each group to read twice a week and follow up CLL sessions x4

4. Where do you fit everything else in PSRN handwriting, any intervention programmes? sorry I know its a slight diversion

5. we have a 20-30 min carpet session on CLL everyday, plus 20 mins letters and sounds everyday plus individual reading on a monday and guided group reading on a Friday

6. forgot to add, we have a focused CLL activity for all children to do with an adult 1x week, plus CLL continuous provision dotted around the rooms

7. forgot to add, we have a focused CLL activity for all children to do with an adult 1x week, plus CLL continuous provision dotted around the rooms
    please can you give me some examples of what you have set up?

thanks

8. A 30 minute carpet session for 4 year olds?

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No reception shouldn't have a literacy hour but literacy is naturally going to be part of everything you do throughout the day

10. I would question that too. I'm all for doing CLL based sessions, but my children have had enough of carpet based inputs after 5-10 mins, unless it's a story, then they're transfixed!