1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should a Maths co-ordinator be eligible for UPS 1 or TLR?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ttxkmhu, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ttxkmhu

ttxkmhu New commenter

I need some advice on my pay. I recently requested from my headteacher the information on applying for the Upper Pay Scale. To give you some background; I am currently M6 (as of September 2017), I am the Maths co-ordinator at an Infant and Nursery School and have been in this role for three years.

My 'co-ordinator' role requires me to carry out termly data analysis across KS1 and in-depth monitoring (e.g. book scrutiny, planning scrutiny), which I then feedback to teachers and governors. I am responsible for policies, information evenings, collaboration with family schools, networking, staff meetings etc. I am aware that I may be required to discuss my subject and the progress of the children across the school with an inspector should Ofsted visit.

My general teaching has been judged as good with outstanding elements or outstanding in the past two years of observations, learning walks and lesson studies.

I have never been paid a TLR for this role and due to my headteachers recent reaction to my request to apply for UPS, I am beginning to feel taken for granted! I have been asked to highlight and evidence the Professional Attributes for UPS 1 and to provide a two sided letter explaining why I am eligible for the post. Is this the normal procedure?

I believe I cannot apply for UPS until I have reached the end of the Main Pay Scale. The term my headteacher used was 'next academic year'. Is this correct?

I am aware that there are members of staff at my school on the UPS and above who do considerably less than me e.g. they co-ordinate History/Art and are not held responsible for their subject to the extent I am. It is the unfairness and lack of appreciation that I am most upset about.

To clarify, my main queries are:

1. Do you think I am eligible for UPS without taking on further workload?
    2. Is the application I have been asked to complete for UPS in line with other schools?
    3. Is it correct I cannot apply for UPS until next year?
    4. What can I do about the inequality in pay and workload at my school?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

1) Depends on the pay policy in your school
    2) Depends on the pay policy in other schools
    3) Depends on the pay policy in your school
    4) Find another school.

cach9801, sabrinakat, Pomza and 3 others like this.
  3. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

There was a recent thread about TLR's. Certainly in the school where I'm CoG and, I think in primaries generally, you won't get a TLR for being a subject coordinator. In most primaries all teachers except for NQT's are likely to have a subject responsibility without extra pay. As CarrieV has said it's down to what's in your pay policy.

4. ttxkmhu

ttxkmhu New commenter

;) Ha! To be fair to you I’d pretty much come to that simple unjust conclusion in my head already. Doesn’t hurt to have it spelt out though!

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

For what is is worth, which may not be much, STPCD says that to go onto UPS, the school must be satisfied that "the teacher’s achievements and contribution to an educational setting or settings are substantial and sustained." They can't argue that you don't achieve this. It is no longer part of STPCD that you need to be on M6 to move onto UPS, but I believe that many schools have retained this.

ttxkmhu likes this.
  6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

My old school's pay policy said that you had to have been teaching for 'a considerable time, usually at least 4 years' in order to ask to be on UPS. I think you probably do fit the criteria re: sustained and significant contribution outside your own classroom (or whatever the wording is!), and if you're now on M6 anyway UPS1 is just 2 points on the scale instead of 1. Depending on your schools pay policy this is probably possible. Explaining how you meet the standards is standard practise in some schools I think.

On the downside, it doesn't sound like the head wants to give it to you. Unfortunately, in my experience, evidence and pay policies are largely useless if the head is unreasonable and doesn't want to give you a pay rise.

ttxkmhu likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

But only since September this year, so the salary rise for the current year has already happened. It would be unusual for a school to give two rises for the same year, and as Imentioned earlier, many schools use the old rule that you have to be on M6 the year before you move onto UPS.

It does not sound to me as if the Head is trying to make things difficult - simply following a policy which is quite common, and which the Head does not have discretion to change. The two sided letter is much easier than it was when I applied for UPS - I recently discovered the file of evidence I had to produce.

Pomz likes this.
  8. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Yes, agreed, 2 separate salary rises in a year would be unusual, but it is quite common for salary rises not be agreed until the end of October, and pay rises backdated then. The OP may be assuming they'll move to m6, as they passed their PM and were on m5 last year, but I believe most schools give until 31st October to apply for UPS etc.

Yes, many schools might require a year on m6 before applying for UPS - but I know for a fact my old one did not, Therefore as advised earlier the OP does need to check their own pay policy to see what it says on this.

I am cynical about heads following policies, mainly because the one at the school I recently left did not follow, nor was she particularly familiar with, her own pay policy. I had passed my PM but she decided I would not be having a pay rise, based on factors which were no relevant nor listed in the policy as contributing to my pay judgement. I no longer work there thankfully, but have recently heard that the head has told staff "the chair of governors says no one can have a pay rise this year" - again there is no provision in the policy for such a decision to be made and the head clearly hasn't learnt her lesson about following the policy from her fight with me last year!!!

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This is nonsense. The vast majority of primaries pay TLRs to core subject leaders. Some also pay smaller TLRs for things like PE...

In a small infant school however, there may not be the budget for this and the workload not great enough to warrant it.

Landofla likes this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I agree with checking. The policy may give criteria for moving onto UPS earl;ier. It sounds as if the Head is saying that the school policy is not to go onto UPS until you have been on M6 for a year, but, as you say, not all Heads follow their policy. I sympathise with your own experience of this.

However, just because it may be possible to go straight from M5 to UPS, there is no reason to assume it should happen in any particular case. It would have to be a special set of circumstances.