1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should a Deputy Headship be advertised internally?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by MrsMooShoes, May 8, 2011.

1. Hello! Does anyone have any advice on the following matter: I was offered the role of acting deputy at my school last July. I really wanted to take the position, but my conscience got the better of me and I felt obliged to tell my school that my husband and I had decided to try for a baby. As I had been told that the position was only for a year I felt that this was the right thing to do for the school as an Acting Head was taking over and we were moving towards federating with the infant school on the same site as ours. Consequently, somebody else was appointed as Acting Deputy and I am now on maternity leave! However, a new head has been appointed to start in September and has just sorted out the staffing structure for next year. The lady who was given acting deputy head has been appointed as deputy head for at least another year. I feel quite aggrieved by this, as I had been told originally that the post was only for a year and I feel that I have a lot to offer the school and would have liked to be have been given the opportunity to apply for the post if it was available again this year. The extra salary would help solve many of our childcare issues. My question is can the school do this or should the post have been advertised internally? Nobody has contacted me to discuss this matter and I would assume that as I am still on the payroll and was offered the position originally it would have been fairer to discuss with me whether I would be interested in applying for it. I feel as if I have been discriminated against for choosing to have a baby and I feel at a total loss as to what I should do about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They can, indeed, simply ask the present incumbent to continue on a temporary basis - and in fact, unless she's done a poor job, it would be unfair to her if they didn't.
    That the new head has decided to continue this arrangement doesn't make what you were originally told a fib, it's simply unfortunate for you. I'm afraid there's nothing whatever that you can do about it.

3. There is a difference between what a school is legally required to do and what might be seen by some as good manners and/or good practice. Such is life I'm afraid.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

But it's not 'good manners' OR 'good practice' - if someone is in post and doing a good job - then to advertise it.

5. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

Last year our head retired and despite advertising the governing body felt there were no suitable applicants for the headship at that time. So into September we went with our deputy being Acting Head. Going back to the May when it was decided to re-advertise for a head in September I was asked would I consider doing the acting deputy role. I was pregnant at the time and due to start maternity leave in the November. I declined the offer as I didn't feel I could do the job justice only being there for half a term (just my opinion.) I know the acting head and retiring head were dissapointed but I knew I made the right decision. So another senior colleague was appointed acting deputy and we worked alongside each other for that first half term - he being paid and me not being paid. This was my choice and it gave me valuable experience. A new head was appointed and started in January and everyone went back to their 'normal' roles.
    What came out of this was that the acting head has since been successful with NPQH and realised she is ready to be a head and I realised that I would like to be a deputy BUT not yet. I have two small children and a husband who works away a lot so I am often juggling the children/work/home myself. I have decided to look for a sideways move - another TLR but in a larger school. Then in a few years I will consider a deputy headship.
    Interestingly the person who did the acting deputy role couldn't wait to go back to just having the TLR and the only thing they liked about the acting role was the extra money.
    Enjoy the rest of your time on maternity leave!