1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should 97 year old royals be banned from driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46912691

"The Duke of Edinburgh has been involved in a car crash, Buckingham Palace has said.

Prince Philip, 97, was not injured in the accident, which happened close to the Queen's Sandringham estate in Norfolk on Thursday.

Buckingham Palace said the crash involved another vehicle and police attended the scene.

The duke was driving a Range Rover and was pulling out of a driveway onto the A149 when the accident happened.

According to eyewitnesses, the car that the duke was driving overturned"

Is he doing his bit to help Range Rover our after its recent massive decline in Chinese sales?

As an aside, I think those cars should be re-branded for the Chinese market with a name the Chinese can pronounce correctly.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Yes.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Royals or not, they shouldn't be driving. Mind you, I have strong views about people with epilepsy driving too.

4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Ban the royals. Won’t be a thread then...;)

5. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

You think he could afford one of those Tesla cars, don't they have an autopilot?

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

At 97 your reactions cannot be as good as they were. I think we should all have to be retested at various stages as we get older.

7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Thankfully he wasn't on the way back from the pub.

Stick to the carriage and four.

towncryer likes this.
  8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

IS that not already the case?

(to sparklepig)

needabreak likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Annual retests from 85 onwards. At your own expense. Every 2 years from 80 to 85.
    I'm 63. I reckon I should be tested once every 5 years. Or more often. More often really.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Of my elderly residents, there are only two over eighty who still drive. One of them gave me a lift to a motor factor to pick up a replacement battery for my car a couple of years ago. It was kind of him to offer but his reactions made the journey a nightmare.

Virtually every day he has a story to tell me about all the idiot drivers he encountered on his journey. Maybe he's unlucky. I see idiot drivers on the roads, but never as many as he does.

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Like with most things, there shouldn't be a hard and fast rule. He's hardly your average 97 year old and, let's face it, with a bit of thought, we could all come up with an individual years and years younger who shouldn't be trusted behind the wheel.

Don't folks need to be retested after 70 anyway?

Lara mfl 05 and nizebaby like this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

No, if the are compos mentis, at that age to stop. Time to stop driving is when you are incapable or dangerous.I know a few young 20-year-olds who I feel should not be driving! Also various ones of other ages.No doubt, irrespective of its a royal or not, it will launch the usual tirade against older drivers per se.

Wotton and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Jude Fawley

I hope the police breathalysed him.

14. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

The last thing we need is a royal funeral right now!

onmyknees, sodalime and nizebaby like this.
  15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

No, but you do need to declare any problems every 2 years upon your birthdate, and make sure your eyes are able to see number plates correctly. In my last eye test I found, to my amazement, that I was under par with my eyes, but then corrected by glasses.

Lara mfl 05 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I saw my dad almost cause a terrible crash when coming out of a narrow road onto a highway. He was 83, and a week later he had a major stroke. As for the epilepsy thing, years earlier he was lucky to escape with a broken finger when someone with epilepsy crashed straight into him because of a tree-lined road that flashed sunlight. She hadn't had a seizure for five years.

17. Jude Fawley

We haven't got the money for such things. Now we'll have to pay for a new Range Rover.

TCSC47 and magic surf bus like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you have Category C1 on your licence (3.5 - 7.5 tonnes) you have to be re-tested for it at 70.

When you get to 70 you have to reapply for your standard driving licence every 3 years, declaring certain medical conditions if/when they're diagnosed.

I was mildly amused by the statement that he wasn't taken to hospital. One couldn't imagine him and Liz waiting 4 hours in A&E next to screaming rampaging kids and a knackered coffee machine like the rest of us have to. :)

19. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

We're trying to persuade my 87 year old dad to give up driving …. I've just spoken to him and he's told me he's got a good 10 years yet … "If the Duke of Edinburgh can do it, so can I!"

jomaimai and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Jude Fawley

I'm phoning HMRC and telling them they're not getting another penny off me until that old coot is in his slippers supping cocoa and watching Antiques Road Trip. Not taking part in in!

Late afternoon in the middle of January in the Norfolk countryside! I reckon he was doing a runner.

slingshotsally and sodalime like this.