1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

shot put

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by charmedimsure, Jun 20, 2011.

1. My son yr 9 is doing shot put in the schools sports day. I wonder can anyone recommend anything he can practice with as he is very keen. Have no idea what sort of weight it would be. He is quite small and thin!!

2. My son yr 9 is doing shot put in the schools sports day. I wonder can anyone recommend anything he can practice with as he is very keen. Have no idea what sort of weight it would be. He is quite small and thin!!

3. Year 9's throw 4kg in competition. The weight below is 3.25kg for Year 8's so might be best to have a few practices with those.
    We've got one lad in our athletics team whose Dad found a big house brick for him to practice with! Worked a treat and he has won many of our competitions.
    The shot is thrown with a pushing action. Holding the shot in the fingertips (dirty fingers clean palm!) it should be brought in to the neck and pushed forwards up and away from the body. Ideal throwing position is from low to high. To practice getting used to the push action, a great way to build strength is to start with a basketball and push from the shoulder. It is really important to make sure the push is from the neck though as if it comes away it will be a foul throw.

4. Thanks lovlee jublee this is very helpful. Like the idea of the house brick! I have shown him your reply so that he can see the importance of throwing correctly.

5. Also remember to walk out of the back of the circle when he's thrown, no one told me tht when I was 13 and that again is a foul putt!