1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortlisting

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bubble12, May 6, 2020.

1. bubble12

bubble12 New commenter

How long does it take for a school to shortlist? I applied for a job last week and the closing date was also last week however there was no shortlisting date on the advert. I'm tempted to ring the school to ask if the short listing has been completed and candidates have been informed. Is that a good idea?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

In normal times shortlisting is normally done whenever SLT and HR in the school get round to it, and in current times it could easily be delayed for all sorts of reasons.

However there's no reason why you couldn't politely ask HR when you can expect to hear whether you've been shortlisted.

bubble12 likes this.
  3. MadHatter76

MadHatter76 New commenter

I applied for a job a couple of weeks ago and heard nothing until I saw someone on twitter say they had got the job :rolleyes: Even in these difficult times I find it incredibly rude not to email an applicant to say they hadn't made the shortlist.

bubble12 likes this.
  4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It’s increasingly standard practice not to inform people that they haven’t been shortlisted. Often there is a phrase on the letter from the school or advert saying ‘if you haven’t heard from us in xxx weeks, assume you have been unsuccessful’. It started outside education, but has become more common in education. It is very rude, in my opinion, especially in the days of email, but that doesn’t seem to matter.

bubble12 likes this.
  5. lahluwalia

lahluwalia New commenter

It’s very common, not to hear unless shortlisted. I applied for a number of jobs and heard back from about two not shortlisting me and one who interviewed me. It’s frustrating, but I just carry on applying as certain I will get a job eventually. I take on board advise on my personal statement and made changes, which helped me get my first interview. I will keep applying.

e_stevenson82 likes this.
  6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I've seldom been contacted by schools unless I've been shortlisted. If I don't hear anything within a week and/or by the interview date, then I just assume I've been unsuccessful. I did have a school ring me once to come to an interview sometime after the closing date but it turned out it was a different post to the one advertised.

7. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

It’s fair enough if they put this but when they don’t it’s frustrating.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, as others say, it is nowadays the norm only to contact the shortlisted applicants.

This started some time ago, a good 10 or more years.

The typical wording in the application pack that they send you would be

We shall be holding interviews in the week beginning Monday 18th May. If you have not heard from us by then, you should assume that your application has not been successful.

If you are applying for several posts, and most people are, I suggest that you keep a calendar note of this date, so that you know when to abandon hope for that school.

However, I know of a case of somebody who woke up to find an email that had been sent in the early hours, inviting her to an interview that very same afternoon! Clearly another candidate had pulled out at the last minute, and she was the replacement.

Got the job, too!

Good luck everyone