1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortlisted

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by tara196, Oct 12, 2015.

1. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Dear Theo,

I have been shortlisted for a position and the letter states that as well as a lesson, there will also be a written task. This is not specified whether it is for me or something I do with the children.

I would appreciate if you could shed any light on this?
    Or
    Should I call and ask for more information?

Thank you

Aimee

2. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

I have had many written tasks - they are usually your response to something. Ones I have had to do include:
    Marking and feedback - looking at copies of chn's work and writing a written commentary of strengths, and areas for development
    Similar to above but assessment - including a couple of weeks ago 'levelling' pieces of work
    I had a data exercise where I had to look at a class set of data and pick out chn who you would notice and make extra provision for again some sort of commentary was expected.

I have never asked for clarification on the tasks and got the feeling they were a 'blind' task.
    Good luck!

3. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Oh gosh, okay thank you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done, well done on getting that interview!

Yes, basically it means a little written test. No, as Mrs H says above (helpful post, @Mrs_Hamilton ), don't contact them to ask.

They are testing your knowledge, your common sense, and also your SPAG . . .

So you might like to read this reminder. :)

Common errors found in applications

It's errors of SPAG that shouldn't be found in applications, NOR your written task in the interview!

Below you have (I hope!) Links to the newly-transferred advice articles from old-TES. Some of them are not relevant to you, but I am including them all for the benefit of other posters.

Warning!

I have created links to these articles, but have not yet been able to go into them and check/change any internal links. So some internal links may no longer work on nu-TES.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On Old-TES we had a very nice tradition that when you actually got a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call itDear Theo - I got that job!and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

If you see one of these threads, make sure you congratulate people!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing yourDear Theo - I got that job!

Best Wishes

monicabilongame and Mrs_Hamilton like this.
  5. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

I guess the task will depend on the position applied for. Key stage / role / Mainscale/UPS....

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

what's SPAG, theo? Just curious?

ps. meet Sabrina's real daughter, Daphne, in the avatar picture....

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@sabrinakat

https://www.spag.com/

Best wishes ( and I'm glad you've stopped saying that - I felt uncomfortable when you copied what I have said for nearly 10 years, so I had to make an effort to try and stop putting it at the end of my posts!)

:)

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Oh Theo - I honestly wasn't coping you; before I ever joined tes, I belonged to a mommy forum when I was trying to conceive (so 2011) and used 'best wishes' to end posts, especially the miscarriage part (as I had had one) with 'best wishes and biggest hugs', leaving off the 'biggest hugs' here. Big apologies if I upset you...

So .......biggest hugs!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I think that the hugs wouldn't go down too well generally on the forums! :D