1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortlisted for TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Natasha2906, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Natasha2906

Natasha2906 New commenter

Hi, ive been shortlisted for a teaching assistant interview from 12:00-3:00pm.
    Is there anyone can give me any tips?
    Any question you know they may ask?
    Will I be observed working with Children?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Wow! That's a long time to be at the school! Congratulations on getting an interview. Given the length of time, I would imagine they will observe you working with children in a classroom. Things that are coming to mind are:
    - if you haven't been asked to prepare an activity with children, you may be asked to go into a class for a lesson. You would listen to the teacher's input, then support a group with their independent work. Whoever is observing you (might be the class teacher) will be looking at how you interact with the children. Ask questions: "Can you tell me how you worked that out?" "How do you know that?" If a child asks you for help, try and find ways to help them work out the answer, rather than giving it to them. Smile a lot!
    - In the interview, you may be given some behaviour scenarios and asked what you would do. You will be asked about safeguarding and possibly given a safeguarding scenario.
    - Have a look at the school's website. It's always good to know as much as you can about the school before an interview, and can create a very positive impression. You may also find some policies there (behaviour and safeguarding) which it would be helpful to look through. Try and think of a few questions you can ask - they will ask if you have any. If the school has a choir, you could say that you sing in a local choir and would very much like the opportunity to help out if that was possible - or a netball team, gardening club or whatever your interest is.
    Very best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Trekkie likes this.