1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortlisted candidates will be seen teaching in their own schools

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by susiec08, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Does this mean that as a supply teacher I will not be considered for short listing? Is it worth even applying?

2. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

The head where I currently do supply said that about a vacancy, but she explained that she wanted to give each one the best chance, and of course anyone with a regular class would prefer that. Not sure how they make it fair, for supply teachers

3. Yes, how fair is that for supply teachers? I had an interview recently where myself and one other candidate did our interview lesson at the interviewing school but the other 4 candidates were in their own classes. It is certainly not fair.
    I am now seeing job adverts stating that shortlisted candidates will be seen in their own schools so I assume from that supply teachers/ those just finishing uni will not be shortlisted so is it even worth applying for?

4. It would also put (for example) people looking to relocate from a long way away at a disadvantage, or those not currently employed in a school.
    That said, I can see how from an employer's perspective, this would be the preferred option. Perhaps they should add that those who do not have their own class (or one where travelling would not be feasible) would be invited to teach one at the school - I don't know, in fact.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There was a long thread about this last year.
    I think that it is grossly unfair. Teaching a class that you know is a great deal easier than turning up in a school and taking whatever they give you.
    I actually feel that there could be a complaint made to the governors - all candidates are not given an equal opportunity to show what they can do. it is also very wasteful of staff time, sending them gallivanting round the arae to observe classes.
    I wish that they would stop this.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

6. I really think that this is a gross infringement of equal opps policy, that is unless it is an academy. If not and still under LA control then I would complain in the most strident terms to the LA. NOT ON!

7. Well, I visited said school today (at 4.30pm!). Did the tour and listened to the head. He said that shortlisted candidates would be seen in their own schools. If currently on placement then at placement school. If they had just finished a placement perhaps it could be arranged that the student coud go back and do a one off lesson.for anyone else, well I suppose they'll have to come here and do a lesson........WHAT???? What an ar*e....and no I'm not applying to your school. I don't need to be treated like a second class teacher just because I'm working supply at the moment. It just makes me want to scream.............arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!

8. I'd love to see their response to overseas applicants. What a silly policy.
    I've seen a few overseas schools wanting DVDs of applicants teaching their classes. Maybe this will be their next smart idea.