1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortest length of time you've owned a car?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flowersinspring, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

I've had my car for about two weeks and it's fine but... it was a quick, necessary Arnold Clark purchase and not really what I wanted. I've now seen a car that I NEED IN MY LIFE. Two weeks though- it's a bit quick, innit?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is it new or second hand?

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Quick yes, but what the heck; if the overall cost of changing from your previous car to the one you fancy is still feasible within budget, why not? Cars should be an enjoyable experience.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The negatives are the cost and the hassle of sorting registration, tax and insurance. If you can be bothered to do that and can afford it, then why not. I've had good-enough, gets-me-about cars in the past when I've had little choice, but they always made me feel a bit depressed compared to one I actually liked.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I had a car once for not quite two days. Actually I only "had it" for less than an hour.
    A colleague said "my grandfather has passed, we have inadvertently acquired a car. We now have three cars to park by our property. We cannot do that. Would you like one?"
    "Oooh,what is it?" I said. "How old is it? Does it run ok?"
    "It's fine, runs like a dream. It's red"
    "OK, yes please!" I said.
    (please don't laugh at this exchange. I am not a car person, but that does not stop me wanting to get to school quickly)
    My colleague had to run at that precise moment,so I didn't see him again until the next day. He entered my room, dumped a tattered file on my desk and some car keys. "Sign this" he said, and I did, whilst watching my tutor group filing in. When I looked up, he had gone.

I dashed out to see the car after school, and it was on this day that I discovered it is not possible to drive a Ford Mondeo if you are barely more than five feet tall. It was a tank. I couldn't reach the pedals. I couldn't see both windscreen and dash, it was either or. I don't think I've ever laughed as much.
    Later that same evening I swapped it with a PE colleague for a squash racket and his cantine card for the whole term, so who needs a test drive before purchase anyway?

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I had one for six weeks in 2015. It was defective, the dealer could not find the fault, so eventually took it back and gave me my money back. Which I spent on another Jaaaaag.

7. Flowersinspring

Both second hand. The one I've seen is a cream convertible Beetle. It's luvverly.

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Oh definitely go for it! I'm forever changing cars - life's too short to let something you want pass you by - within reason, of course! Let us know what you do!

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Dealers love people like you, this is how they make money. What's that phrase about suckers being born?

10. Flowersinspring

Meh. Probably. :D

11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I had one for 10 days before someone drove into me. I got it back... eventually. Only kept it for a year after though.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Two months. Acquired it then it catastrophically failed its MOT 2 months later

13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

We picked our new car up on Sunday - nothing posh, but brand new. Someone scraped the wing mirror yesterday. Three days old and paint needs touching up!!!

14. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We are long time car owners, keep them until they die! We are looking to buy an electric car now. I've seen so many they are all mixed up in my head. Finding one for a short person isn't easy.

15. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

About three months. I bought it for £250 quid (got £100 back when I scrapped it) and it was later killed when I decapitated a Pheasant on a country road. The garage found a mangled bird skull blocking the radiator. But by then, the oil cap had fallen off and the engine was generally on fire when I drove. The windscreen wipers didn’t work exactly and the doors didn’t actually lock. Or close, come to think of it.

I have actually driven worse.

16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Owning a motor vehicle and being the keeper of a motor vehicle are two very different things.

You can 'own' a car as much as you want but if the keeper decides to sell it to another person you have no legal claim. Only a fool would part with money for a car and not be the keeper.

It's only in recent years that you can turn around a V5 (now renamed) in under a week. I used to buy cars and sell them on but I was always waiting for the V5 before I could do anything.

A deal I remember was buying a Volvo 960 estate for £500.00 from a Cambridgeshire farmer on a Thursday night, getting the V5, sending the buyers part off and advertised it in Free Ads (which I didn't know also had a nationwide online presence) that night but not picking up the car until eight days later and selling it again two days after that for £1,500.00 to a couple who came up from Wales wanting a towing car. I only drove it from the farm back to where I lived on the other side of Cambridge. I didn't even get a chance to clean it but it was spotless anyway and kept for the eight days under cover.

The money was amazing. The seller wanted rid because they had a new Volvo and the buyers were very keen because their Landrover had been totalled and they had a caravanning holiday lined up. Twin electrics, a nice big Volvo. They gave me the cheque without any fuss having driven from Wales to Cambridge arriving at 9 a.m. on a Sunday.

Personal cars I keep as long as possible. Presently I'm after a 124 Merc estate to keep for life. With a Bosch fuel pump I can run it on vegetable oil and a bit of diesel.

I once had an old Mondeo estate. I'd got to the supermarket fuel station, put two gallons of diesel in it and then get a trolley, go in the supermarket and get about another eight gallons of vegetable oil in their biggest containers. Then I'd go out in the supermarket car park and pour the vegetable oil into the tank and put the plastic containers in the recycling. And then I'd drive off.

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

In which case the drop in value (if any) will be minimal.

Go for it.

Flowersinspring likes this.
  18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

A day. White VW Passat. Someone emerged from a junction, drove into the passenger side and wrote it off the day after I bought it.

19. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’m on the lookout for a new car but I want the cheapest to run car possible as I am fed up with spending so much money on petrol. Any ideas?

20. Flowersinspring

Do want to buy my Citroen 1? Cheap as chips to run. For the past couple of weeks anyway!