1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortcut to access safe images for KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by choralsongster, Dec 19, 2015.

1. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Hi, I'm planning for my Year 1 kids to be researching and copying images of toys (creative commons or open images only). As the children are still learning to negotiate the internet, I wanted a quick way to get to websites to ensure they don't start inadvertently browsing.

Not quite got my head around QR codes, although I really wanted to use netbooks, as they'll creating collections on PowerPoint. Any ideas for a quick set-up, as I'll need to have all the netbooks ready for the kids 5 or so mins before the lesson!

Thanks in anticipation xx

2. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Thank you for this, but I already have the websites/image site addresses to use - I just want to save preparation time, by not having to type in a website for each netbook or iPad.

4. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

@choralsongster Ah, sorry. My mistake.

You can save the website to the homepage of the netbook/iPad. Instead of 'adding bookmark' you 'add to homepage' and it creates an icon. You can do this yourself prior to the lesson and instruct the children to only click on that icon. They will have instant access to the specific image site you are wanting them to use without typing in the same URL on 30 different ipads etc.

'how to add website to home screen ipad' on Google brings up a quick 5 or so step explanation. This icon will stay on the ipads until you remove it yourself meaning it will also be there for future lessons

You would probably have to spend half an hour or so yourself the night before the lesson setting this up, but then it is permanently there & would require no further set up/prep.