1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortage of teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by mcwjbanner, Dec 24, 2015.

1. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Things clearly are not bad enough yet. It seems strike action only brings in a very limited response when voted on which the government immediately downplay because of the lack of turn out. Your point palmtree100 is very valid but when the word does get out there the government will have great difficulty recruiting anybody to do the job of a teacher, no matter what incentives are offered. It will take years to change minds once that opinion is out there.

2. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Even better still, academies don't have to employ qualified teachers anyway. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if at some academy the caretaker or dinner lady was doubling as a teacher.

The imbeciles in Westminster might also like to consider countries like Canada where, far from there being a teacher shortage, it's virtually impossible for new teachers to get their foot in the door. But then the UK has a very entrenched position of ignoring good practice in other countries, in any area.

sabram86, Mrsmumbles and JL48 like this.
  3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I hear that it's similar in Australia

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

He is right, Kevin! Are you a headmaster, by any chance?!

5. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

Hi @Mrsmumbles ,

I wasn't disagreeing with David. Just encouraging him to keep his posts engaging, entertaining and informative.

Best wishes.

Kevin