1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortage of teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by mcwjbanner, Dec 24, 2015.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Is anyone else getting an avalanche of emails offering them teaching jobs for September?o_O

mostly in schools I wouldn't touch with a barge pole

JL48 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

It would.

Only there's a funding crisis, so the schools have no money to pay extra.

SomethingWicked and Moony like this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

4. Mrsmumbles

Wow! Never thought of like that and never worked so 'few' hours at my last place....makes you see how much overwork and exploitation is routinely going on.

5. Mrsmumbles

Yes! Just Say No....

drek and dunnocks like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Like heroin...

But more lethal for your health.

drek and Mrsmumbles like this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Yes yes and yep again!

8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Aren’t they your resources waterscj ?

simonCOAL likes this.
  9. drek

drek Lead commenter

Well in 2013 the government believed Gove when he said that the changes were minor and followed the usual procedure.......and here is the big I told you so..........
    Teachers don’t want to work in schools with a high level of pupil premium, SEN, nor where there are high levels of community dependence on the welfare state...... ....high level of teenage pregnancies used to jump on the housing bandwagon etc....
    Experienced teachers suddenly found themselves in acrimonious working environments where the dfe and OFSTEd helped headteachers to point the finger of blame for all the shortcomings within the communities onto them......using performance related pay ‘appraisals’.....

Their pay was frozen for years....their entire teacher training and career threatened after one performance ‘observation’ carried out by people with less teaching experience, no subject knowledge, but a day’s training course worth of performance related terminology........shallow, superficial and not worth the huge carbon footprint that hundreds of observation ‘paperwork’ have resulted in..............

Now they need to provide R & R packages to get anybody teaching in these schools.

If the schools have RI hanging over them then the savvy kind of teacher knows that they will have absolutely no chance of anything approaching a normal home life during at least 45 weeks of the year............plus the threat of losing their chance for a good reference if they have unscrupulous ‘leaders’.

The Gove kind of leader.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ice-rushing-through-performance-pay-devalued#

10. drek

drek Lead commenter

11. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

There is no teacher shortage. Lots of experienced teachers cannot find a job. Academies will simply not offer a job to an experienced/expensive teacher. 2 nqts for the price of 1 experienced teacher. Do the math, academies do.

Mrsmumbles and Shedman like this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You're quite right. As long as the government continues it's shameful run down of education funding this situation will continue

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Precisely. This is so well summarised and explains exactly why I wk t work in a school anymore. I want to. But can’t. And have lost all trust and respect for senior ‘managers’ and the Tories. Game over until it changes.

Shedman likes this.
  14. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I wonder how many people would employ a plumber or electrician with no experience, in preference to one with 20 years and a proven record. Of course, for the scum that run academies it's not their house or their child.

sabram86, Mrsmumbles, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  15. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

Hi David,

Have you ever considered going on a comedy course?

We all have our grumbles with the system. The way you express yours is rather disappointing.

Best Wishes.

Kevin

ah3069 likes this.
  16. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

All depends on the leadership of the school. I've seen the difference it can make.

Pomza, galerider123 and JL48 like this.
  17. palmtree100

Also NQTs are prepared to give up their weekends and evenings, in order to pass their NQT year, and believing that it will get easier. New to the job, they will commit 100% and give it their best shot, to make an impression and prove they can do the job. School leaders know this. More experienced teachers are thinking long-term and trying to make the job feasible and compatible with a healthy, balanced lifestyle. They know that 60-70 hour weeks lead to depression and illness. NQTs are still keen enough to battle on.

Shedman, Jamvic and galerider123 like this.
  18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Although there don't seem to be as many around as there used to be. Or is that just me?

Shedman likes this.
  19. palmtree100

Word had probably got around about how tough it is.Even if there were an endless supply of NQTs, relying on them isn't an adequate strategy. They need to work alongside experienced teachers in teams where staff all learn from each other. And the job needs to be feasible long-term, otherwise NQTs just burn out and leave after 2 or 3 years.

20. Taboo71

Taboo71 New commenter

Even better than that, academies can have students teaching and gaining their QTS via the route of Teach Direct.....even cheaper than an NQT!

Mrsmumbles and galerider123 like this.