1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortage of teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by mcwjbanner, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Multi acadamy trust.

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

RTQ

SomethingWicked likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh dear. Depressing.

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Oh how heinous of me to mis read something whilst scrolling quickly......

5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

:rolleyes:

6. Mrsmumbles

The way things are in school, though, I think we're normal to want to cut our hours and do something less pointless instead.....

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

If wanted to take our holidays into account, and match the 40 hour week that people have in 'proper' jobs, then we should be working a maximum of 46 hours per week.
    I think that many of us would love to be only working 46 hours per week.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In a good week (rare) I do 50 hours a week. In a bad week it can get to 70.

MrsLan does 42.5 hours a week no change.

But I do get paid more...

JL48 likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My wife works 38.5 hours per week (well close enough).

I probably work 50-55 ish.

My wife's salary is 10K more than mine !

JL48 likes this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

This is already happening in the U.S. except they don't even bother with the learning centre. The kids work (or don't work) from home.

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Does she get overtime for this?

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Out of interest do the parents have any choice, or is this something that the 'home schooling' crew do? Or are you talking about the virtual high schools?

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nope

14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Back in my dark days before teaching I had two separate jobs - one public sector and one private sector. Both considered a full working week to be 37.5 hours. The private sector job paid time and a half for any extra hours, while the public sector time allowed us to 'bank' up to 2 days off per month.

15. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

The world of education is very potty.

The cost is rising so much that it makes more sense for my adult tutees to pay for me and arrange for their language exams than to enrol in a class at some FE college. The quality of my tutoring is better, more personalished and more flexible.

I have an inkling more and more teachers will really become freelance, which is no bad thing, either for them or for students. The only people who will lose out are the fattened bureaucrats and managers.

Strike time!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Virtual high schools. A cheap option for those cities with big budget deficits. Chicago for one.

17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Seen them. Worked at a US school that used it instead of summer school for students that had failed classes and were short of credits to graduate. Didn't realise that some districts were using them instead of high schools though!

18. Mrsmumbles

Blimey, I had done 37.5 hours at my old torture chamber by Thursday morning. What a mug I was.

19. Mrsmumbles

Yep! Our products are nicer. So are our personalities!

sabram86 likes this.
  20. cycomiz

cycomiz New commenter