1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortage of teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by mcwjbanner, Dec 24, 2015.

1. mcwjbanner

mcwjbanner New commenter

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Some interesting & well made points

I retired early a bit over 2 years ago - money alone wouldn't have kept me in the job any longer. Getting rid of Ofsted (& all the palava, stress, paperwork etc. that goes with it) might have helped, and the pressure if constant observations. At the moment l wouldn't advise anyone to go into teaching - not state schools anyway.

install and stonerose like this.
  3. mcwjbanner

mcwjbanner New commenter

I agree that money alone solves nothing. I feel teachers are being asked to do too much and are presented with clearly an impossible task, at least for someone who wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle between home and work.

It is however, a rewarding job still and I myself love being one.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There isn't a shortage of teachers

5. mcwjbanner

mcwjbanner New commenter

The research shows otherwise. Read the article posted above. This year more teachers left the profession than joined and in some areas, millions are being spent on Cover Supervisors because there are no staff.

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Correct!

Just look at all the posts on the Jobseekers forum. And, why do you think Theo is paid to churn out endless realms on how to get that job? Does this really sound like there is a shortage?

What there is a shortage of is young, cheap teachers who are servile enough to ask how high, when told to jump, and work themselves to the bone, to the exclusion of everything else in their life.

I'm a classic, example of the imbecilic waste perpetrated by heads. Around Enfield where I live there are lots of schools desperately short of maths, chemistry and physics teachers. I can teach all three brilliantly, so they should be queuing round the block begging me to teach. However, far more important to these heads, than their students education, is that someone display oodles of humility and be very easy to bully. These stupid, spiteful heads aren't hurting me as I'm making a comfortable living tutoring, on the back of the incompetence with which these subjects are taught.

Before whinging about the lack of teachers:
    1. Use the many qualified teachers out there, that are looking for a job.
    2. Stop trying to make people like me waste hours filling in your pathetic application forms. It ain't going to happen. If someone like me tells you to go to my website, where you can pick up a CV and learn all about me, then suck it up. If there's a shortage then I'm calling the shots not you.
    3. Don't expect people like me to waste time on data collection or admin. Be glad if I'm prepared to take the register and write a report (maybe two) each year. The job title is teacher, not pen-pusher - that's what SLT are paid the extra for.
    4. Don't expect good teachers to put up with abusive and disruptive students. It should be easy to boot them out of class to spend the day in isolation. And, repeat offenders should be booted out of school.
    After all this is done then come back and tell me there's a shortage of teachers.

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

There's plenty of qualified teachers but just a shortage of those willing to go into or back into the classroom. Me included and like the above poster can offer shortage subjects in Science and Maths.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

State/Academy versus Independent? I did a one-year fixed term in a state secondary - too much paperwork, too many disruptive (and with a sense of entitlement) students and just too much bs - back in the independent sector, my days are longer but I am spending time as a teacher, not a babysitter, data analyst or zoo keeper. Mine is a shortage subject (Classics), no problem getting interviews even without a PGCE, able to do Assessment QTS, happy to be a teacher in the independent sector.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Being a teacher means accepting being buried under bureaucracy... fine if the job entails it... but most of the bureaucracy serves no purpose to the classroom... just to justify the SLT/Management roles and pander to Ofsted.

But I've said this so many times even I'm tiring of it.

JL48, needabreak, stonerose and 3 others like this.
  10. gregometer

gregometer Occasional commenter

I haven't been teaching long but don't like what I have become in just two years. I am always tired and people who know me say I am grumpy now; I rarely get out in the evenings with friends and don't do the hobbies I have done all my life like rock-climbing anymore. I rarely see the sky!

At weekends, I'm always catching up with marking, collecting data and evidence and updating action plans I need for meetings and reviews from last week ready for next week, and of course planning for next week has to be done as well, then updating schemes of work with what I just did and generally, never winding down. I dread when I get ill as their is no wiggle room in the job - if you are ill, everything still must be done. I get just four hours a week to do the planning during the school day, and two of them are taken up with cover usually. It's relentless and depressing.

The environment is poor as well. My classroom and the whole school is frankly rundown. it's depressing working in an environment that is threadbare, grey and gloomy. The behaviour of a small number of students in nearly every class wears you down and there is little that anyone can do about it. On top of that, I earn just under £23k a year, nearly half of the take home of which pays for the rent, the rest for the car and bills. At the end of each month, I'm lucky to be left with two hundred quid. I didn't come into teaching to be rich, but it is no great honour to be permanently poor after training so hard and so long to be a teacher either. I have to save up just for a new suit!

I am actively planning to become a statistic and leave UK state education by the end of this academic year, at least for a few years, and am applying for many Compter Science and ICT teaching jobs abroad. The first interviews I have secured are in January.

Perhaps when I come back, the workload committees that are hard at work will have implemented all the cuts they have promised and I'll be allowed to just get on and do the job, without all the other stuff that has little bearing on anything anyone does in school. I can live in hope .....

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    delnon, stonerose, Landofla and 3 others like this.
  11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It doesn't

There isn't a "shortage" as in "not enough exist"

There is only a shortage as in "not enough qualified teachers are choosing to teach"

Anonymity, delnon, needabreak and 5 others like this.
  12. FrankWolley

Splitting hairs, I think. A qualified teacher refusing to teach soon can hardly be regarded as a teacher.

Anonymity, K_Bey94 and mcwjbanner like this.
  13. Scintillant

No it's not. It's the crucial difference between the two situations - as others have pointed out, The country has plenty of qualified teachers, who for whatever reason are choosing not to follow their profession any more. Many are leaving due to workload, many are being forced out on trumped up or bogus data based capability etc.

Anonymity, delnon, needabreak and 2 others like this.
  14. Compassman

Isn't that a sad story? A new entrant to the profession keen to do a good job thinking of leaving due to workload. All for just £23k a year.

It isn't just about the money but when you realise the hours that teachers put in then £23k in pathetic. This poster is ICT/Computer Science literate so it looks though they could earn a lot more out there.

Of course the argument is that you get 13 weeks holiday. No good having all that time off if you are working during them, too knackered to enjoy them or cannot afford to go anywhere is it.

The tiredness issue is really concerning. It is just not good for the health and will cause long term health concerns unless something changes. Since I left teaching in October I have started to get better sleep, I have my evenings and weekends free and time for my friends in family. With just 28 days holiday a year I've never had so much free time!!

My advice, get out of teaching.

15. Compassman

Or sometimes both.

stonerose likes this.
  16. FrankWolley

Whether a qualified teacher is forced out, chooses to leave (as in post #10) or retires early (as I did) they are lost to the profession. I am a qualified teacher under retirement age - but I won't be lured back again, I assure you. if enough leave and won't come back it is a shortage situation.

ScotSEN and eljefeb90 like this.
  17. Scintillant

They are still qualified teachers of working age

So there is no shortage of them

There is a shortage of those people choosing to use their skills.

It's a very important difference and points to a major problem that if solved would remove the "shortage".

Am_done likes this.
  18. Compassman

True but I suspect many of these qualified teachers (myself included ) are so deluded that it is highly unlikely they will ever return. Once bitten and all that.

19. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

There is no shortage. Retention is the issue.

20. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

This brings back a few memories. I took up rock-climbing at university, and others in the club used to recount how they had been introduced to it by one of their teachers. I also recall one of the members of my potholing club bringing along a few of his students to give them a taste of the hobby.

Not only do teachers not have the time to do this now (even for themselves), the pen-pushers would probably want a DBS check run on every member of the club, and the time taken to fill in the bloody risk assessment form would take many times longer than the activity you wanted to do with the kids.

stonerose likes this.