1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shortage of Primary roles?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by greasychipbuttie, Jul 15, 2019.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Speaking to a few friends who have finished their PGCE course, struggling for FT work and are now trying for supply teaching for NQT year...

Is there a shortage of roles in Primary?

KS1 or KS2? (or both?)

2. TheOneTonBun

TheOneTonBun New commenter

Where are you? Primary is quite location dependent.

Most of my (very oversubscribed) cohort in the South East found work, but many of us were surprised by how tough it was. Several people had to relocate completely to London. The ones without work haven't been able to look far away because of childcare commitments.

I was getting goods and outstandings for my PGCE but had to submit probably 15 or so applications to get 3 interviews.

I am older and just with a non representative survey of other older people on the course (male and female); that really didn't help, despite what the government change career propaganda tells you.

It didn't feel like I was in demand entering a shortage field at all. I had originally planned to try and negotiate up the starting salary but in the end was just grateful to a school for taking a punt on me with a maternity cover contract. I'll do my best to show them they made a good decision and hopefully things will perk up next year.

Many universities, especially lower ranked ones, are taking in comparatively huge numbers of ITT students to try and plug the exodus from their other courses. Which hasn't helped.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Primary has always been more popular than secondary and I don't think it's ever been easy to get a primary job. There's always plenty of maternity covers going though. Can you teach EYFS? Schools have more trouble filling those vacancies than KS1 or KS2.

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

The government sets limits to the number of Primary ITT students they can enrol.

In my experiences, shortages in Primary tend to be in places where many people don't want to live - inner-city schools and very rural areas. Generally though, it is easier to find a job closer to where you want than many other careers. Many graduates have to relocate across the UK or even the world to follow the career they want.

5. TheOneTonBun

Not any more.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/government-scraps-places-limit-for-teacher-training-courses/

6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I didn't have a problem finding a job in my area when I qualified two years ago so I think it's locational.

However, I knew I wanted to work in an inner-city school. There is less competition for jobs in "tough areas".

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

8. TheOneTonBun

I can only speak to my area, which is covered by 4 universities - 2 redbrick and 2 ex polys. One of the redbricks shut their course when expected, the other kept their admissions open but appeared to hold onto their entry requirements.

The 2 ex polys had admissions open until right up to when the course opened. The ex poly course I was on was heavily over subscribed from previous years to the point that they didn't have enough placements for everyone. Every seminar was crammed, there was little personal attention, and the placement office said that while they'd just about covered the first term (by using some shockingly unprepared schools which they paid more then usual to), they needed significant numbers of people to fail / drop out in the first term - or there wouldn't be enough schools to cover the second placements.

Well, they certainly got their wish. The chaos, lack of support, admissions of people who shouldn't have been admitted, certainly saw some people see their dream of teaching crash into the rocks before January. Not quite enough as some people had to arrange their own placements, and not enough to stop a flood of NQT jobseekers from all 4 unis competing for jobs in the same areas though.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

You just have to be willing to relocate if required. It depends what type of school you are after though. Some nice village schools won't necessarily have many vacancies as teachers stay put. The larger, inner city or town schools will usually always have vacancies.

10. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

I agree with celago22 - it's very location-dependent. The very large primary of which I'm a governor (home counties) has constant difficulty in filling posts. This year we've managed to appoint two NQTs who did their placements in the school but have got at least two agency staff and regularly appoint teachers from overseas (eg Ireland, Aus and NZ) who generally want to return home at some point.