1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short term teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by robusto, Dec 12, 2011.

1. robusto

robusto New commenter

My partner is going to spend around 3 months working in Canberra at the end of next year and I'm hoping to take a short sabbatical to join her for those three months.
    Ideally I would love to work in schools there but I think I will struggle to get a Visa. Although I work in what seems to be a shortage area (special education) and have various postgraduate qualifications including a Master's degree, my age counts against me - I'll be 51 soon.
    Has anyone managed to do anything alomg these lines? Any advice or contacts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. robusto

robusto New commenter

My partner is going to spend around 3 months working in Canberra at the end of next year and I'm hoping to take a short sabbatical to join her for those three months.
    Ideally I would love to work in schools there but I think I will struggle to get a Visa. Although I work in what seems to be a shortage area (special education) and have various postgraduate qualifications including a Master's degree, my age counts against me - I'll be 51 soon.
    Has anyone managed to do anything alomg these lines? Any advice or contacts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. There isn't really a visa that would allow you, at your age, to do what you want I believe.
    Have a look at the immigration website's visa wizard (http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/) to double check on that, but to be honest I don't reckon your chances as you are unfortunately too old even for the (slightly over the top solution imho) PR visa, as the cut off for that is now 49. Without the relevant visa you really wouldn't have any chance at all of working, no matter how in demand you are I'm afraid - Oz being far more strict on visa conditions than this side of the world, and work would also mean anything that you aren't renumerated for as well as more traditionally paid roles.
    Any chance of you just having a holiday?

4. robusto

robusto New commenter

Although it's not what I really wanted to hear, I appreciate your response, HappyPixie. having e mailed a few schools in Canberra which have SEN departments I have to say the silence (with one honourable exception) - is deafening. If only I was younger ... [​IMG]
    Next stop is to look at possible exchange or research projects ... or maybe to save like mad and have an extended jolly!

5. robusto

robusto New commenter

Bumping this one up!
    Partner's three-month work project in Canberra at the end of this year has finally been confirmed. There's next to no chance of getting a visa to work there myself so I think the only options are to do an exchange or to do a research project.
    It's a bit of a long shot to come on here and make such a specific request but who knows ... someone out there might have done it ... knows someone who's done it ... knows about research funding ... knows the numbers for the next Lottery ...