1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short term supply teaching and references for NQTs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by chrisg82, May 3, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I have been doing short term supply for approximately 16 months and have yet to complete my NQT year. When applying for jobs who are the most appropriate people to use a references? Thanks.

2. Dear Theo,

I have been doing short term supply for approximately 16 months and have yet to complete my NQT year. When applying for jobs who are the most appropriate people to use a references? Thanks.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tip for next time: put the Dear Theo as part of the title - i don't always have time to open all threads on the off-chance that it is inside.
    The official position is that you should put your current or most recent employer in a job involving working with children. in theory this could mean the Supply Agency.
    But they are notoriously bad at references, often just putting: We confirm that Mr T Griff has been working for us as a supply teacher since january 2011.
    That's it, the lot.
    Not much use to you nor to the school.
    The best thing is if you have a couple of schools where you have gone back fairly often, and can ask them if they will write the reference for you.
    Don't forget to read all the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread, and also read this:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Best wishes

4. Thanks very much for the information. Tip noted for the future.