1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short term supply and observations/parent evenings

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by xmaspud, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Yes and that's why I go above and beyond duties to a point where everywhere i go i'm offered a job, or one is created for me. Doing your teaching duties and being observed when your doing supply are two different things. No one said i was complaining about my duties as a supply, just the observation. Why is there always someone on here who has a bee in their bonnet about supply teachers thinking they shouldn't be doing daily duties. You could be doing an amazing job at teaching and learning, planning,marking, relationships ect, but when you go home you don't want to be stressing about observations because you chose supply. Why would you choose supply rather than a perm position if it meant the same long term commitment?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think the problem here is, you suppose many people doing supply do it by choice. Whereas such teachers exist,<u> many do it because they cannot get permanent posts</u>.

3. But many people DO do it by choice because they are trying to get away from some of the stresses of the job.

4. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

No way should you be observed!!!

That is not on.You are not paid in the holidays, you are not paid if you are off sick etc

It is all very well saying that as a supply teacher you should be doing what a perm teacher does but you aren't paid the same or treated the same and you certainly don't need the stews if you aren't treated the same.

As for parents evening, I have done it whilst on supply but only if paid to do it!!

I am on a long term placement and it was INSET on Friday-I wasn't asked to go in and so wasnt paid.

Until supply teachers are treated like perm teachers then they shouldnt be expected to do all the extra work involved such as observations or parents evening.

Say NO!!!!!

(rant over)

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

On a short term placement like 3/6 weeks can you give much useful information to parents? I don't believe you can.
    Whilst doing longer placements I have attended parents evenings because I recognise that I am taking on the role of the absent teacher and this is part of the role. Some schools have paid me for this, others haven't but have been very grateful. I think doing this raises your standing as a professional with the school, parents and students. I also find them very useful for myself as I get to find out more about the kids I am teaching from their parents. I do demand to be kept well supplied with coffee and chocolate biscuits throught the evening though.
    Observations are a different matter, sometimes (well once about 8 years ago) an agency might request one as part of their ongoing commitment to you and your CPD (agency talk) and other times (twice in 12 years) the school has brought in consultants to observe the department as a whole and your lesson is part of the timetable. But usually schools are too busy even to fit in obs for their regular staff and certainly not a supply. Is there any point anyway?

6. I`m in a similar position, but on long term supply, with the same class until Feb 2104 (started Sept 2013). I did parents evening, but now I have a lesson observation with both the Head and Deputy Head. Is this right? The union says observations should only be related to performance management. As I do not have performance management (paid the same daily rate by the agency), surely this is not necessary?

7. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Does your school have an Ofsted looming? I only ask because at my last long term supply we were expecting an Ofsted (that never came) but as a result the Head was keen to observe everyone's lessons - mine included, so she was sure we were all ready for Ofsted.

install likes this.
  8. Hatoff

Hatoff New commenter

I agree with you Xmaspud- supply teachers do not have the same contracts as permanent teachers and should not be subjected to observations, if they chose to opt out the professional development. Since you are covering and not in a long term post, then raise it with your agency. I went back into supply because I like just getting in with teaching, and not have to deal with staff/ school and management. The minute a school starts making demands, I remind them I'm supply. The last school I worked in, I demanded additional PPA time for writing reports and collating assessment data. The school argued it was 'part' of my professional duties. I informed them I was not on the same pay scale as their permanent members of staff, did not get sick/ pension paid so was not willing to perform the same duties. I ended up getting 2 days to write my reports. Just put your foot down.

9. Once, years ago, II would have agreed with lara, et. al. that a supply teacher had all the duties of a regular teacher, when they were paid to scale. Now, I would agree with Hatoff. For a school to expect a supply 'teacher' to undertake all the duties and burdens of a regular teacher but be paid at the same rate as a dinner supervisor, is simply exploitation.

Schools do not seem to appreciate that professionalism cuts both ways. If you are not treated as a professional, why should be expected to behave like one?

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

When I was on a long term placement, I did attend a parents evening but I was paid extra. I would not have attended otherwise, but then they wouldn't have expected me to attend unpaid. I was treated well there.

11. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Guys, i dont know if you have realised, but you re responding to a 2011 post. Maybe you know already, If so ignore me, as i might be stating the obvious xx