1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short-term students and online tutoring sites

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by jean_daligault, Apr 24, 2019.

1. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

Hi,

Most (all?) of the online tutoring agencies I use apparently rank tutors higher when their students book repeat lessons more often. It does make sense, and also gives an incentive against tutors bypassing the site's cut on subsequent lessons.

However, tutoring Computer Science mainly to degree-level students, most of the contacts I get are for short-term tuition. So far I have accepted everything that is within my expertise, even when the student makes it clear it will be just one or two lessons. I might be hurting my ranking and future visibility though.

Is anyone gaming this system, ie declining short-term tuition for ranking purposes?

Best regards,
    Jean

2. BG54

BG54 New commenter

I think you need to be looking more at agencies where the client pays a one-off finder's fee rather than the rip-off merchants who collect the money from the client and then deduct extortionate commission for every lesson as well as taking a week or more to pay the tutor.

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I agree with BG54. I've only ever used sites where the student pays a one off fee for the tutor's contact details and after that the client pays the tutor directly.

4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

There aren't enough maths and physics tutors in the area I live to worry about ranking. Anyone looking at the websites will scroll through all the adverts anyway.

I do use the well known agency that collect payment and then pay the tutor a week later minus the commission. I've found them very good. It's business not a rip off. I would sooner be busy with lots of clients so a commission is worth paying.

5. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

For face to face tuition that makes sense, students will find you by postcode, but I'm more specifically asking for online tuition (via Skype etc) where everyone nationally will be bunched together.