1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short term planning - weekly/daily

Discussion in 'Primary' started by louiseelsiet, Jan 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. louiseelsiet

louiseelsiet New commenter

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help please? We are currently in a period of change at my school and are reviewing the way in which we approach weekly planning. Currently, we produce individual lesson plans for each lesson and where these have served a purpose in the past (considering clear differentiation etc), we are now looking for a less time consuming way of planning without compromising on standards. I wondered if anyone is prepared to share examples of how they plan at their schools please?

Thanks in advance!

2. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

In my personal view, any school who tells staff "plan like this" is doing it wrong when it comes to short term planning. Teachers should plan their lessons in whatever format they desire.

3. louiseelsiet

Thanks for your reply. I completely see your point, however I don't want this to become a debate on whether or not staff should be told how to plan.

I would just like some ideas on how other people approach planning.

Thanks

4. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I'm afraid I'm with Calamity54321.
    If you genuinely think that changing from arduous and burdensome daily lesson planning risks "compromising on standards", then I suspect that anything reasonable that's suggested wouldn't meet what you're looking for.

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

If you have clear medium term plans then I would think that short term planning would be something that could be more personal and not in a given format. However, I suspect that your school may not be willing to give this much freedom so perhaps you could give it a term and do some monitoring activities that explore whether standards are still as high, or indeed higher that previously.

I would suggest that removing the paperwork burden would lead to improvements as staff are released to do what they are paid to do - teach.
    Perhaps those less experienced staff, ie NATs c

louiseelsiet likes this.
  6. Camokidmommy

Don't know why I cannot continue or edit....

Perhaps those less experienced staff, ie NQTs could be given a structure to begin with.

(I'm ready to 'post' now!!)

louiseelsiet likes this.
  7. louiseelsiet

The way in which we currently plan has helped to raise standards. Looking for a way to cut down on unneccessary planning time. I agree time is better spent on teaching!
    I've not posted on TES for a long time. The responses I've received so far are far from supportive. I remember a time when tge forums were full of supportive, helpful comments.

8. Camokidmommy

Sorry, not trying to be unsupportive! Having spent many years under a regime of planning for planning sake I now realise how much better I am at my job in a school that lets me write what I want! If only a few words!

I am only trying to get across the point that planning is personal.

Could you have a set of 'must haves' rather than a set format. Eg LO, success criteria, differentiation and leave the rest to staff?

TEA2111 likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have medium term plans (which need updating and is a focus for the school) and staff do their own thing for short term planning.
    The only things we have to have on short term plans are: LOs and clear differentiation. If we can show anyone who cares to look that we know what we intend to teach and how we'll personalise it, then that's all that matters.
    BUT you do then have to accept some staff will have very sketchy plans and some have super long tedious things.

10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I have a template for an action plan for this.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

An action plan to change how teachers plan? Seriously? WOW!