1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short term memory loss

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by amylrichie, Jan 15, 2020.

1. amylrichie

amylrichie New commenter

Hi,

I have started tutoring a Y11 student who suffers from short term memory loss and slow cognitive processing speed. I only found out last night when talking with her mum. I asked what kind of support the school puts in place but it's a lot of differentiated worksheets etc.
    I've tried searching the internet for something more specific to handle teaching English literature, especially quotations, to her. She has a pack of quote cards for each of the texts but I wondered if anyone has any advice or could point me in the direction of resources?

Thanks in advance
    Amy

2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Dodros and moonpenny like this.
  3. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

https://www.readingrockets.org/article/10-strategies-enhance-students-memory

A few strategies in the link above

I particularly like visualisation strategies such as linking what needs to be memorised to a visual image ‘hook’ , use of colour

Seeing information visually such as YouTube clips or videos, watching film adaptations

Or if the student enjoys listening maybe an Ebook of the text or getting computer reading software to read the text while the student listens

Recording themselves saying quotes, or parts of text into their mobile phones and re-listening

Over learning is important and revisiting over and over again frequently and regularly even if it’s only for a short period of time each time

Making a pack of flash cards into a flip book which can be carried around and looked at regularly when ever there is a spare 5 minutes

If the student makes their own resources this process helps to reinforce the information using kinaesthetic senses,

Most dyslexia teaching - as most dyslexic students have poor working memory - ( I know this student
    doesn’t have a dyslexia diagnosis) often relies heavily on using multisensory teachniques

I would often devise a lesson which drew on the senses so drawing a picture while vocalising information of the thing which needs to be memorised be it a name, place, person, word.

Revision Mind maps - can be very visual , using pictures drawings, text - look at Tony Buzan books

Basically there is no easy way to overcome short term memory problems but lots of sheer hard work needed to consolidate so the information is more likely to stick in the long term memory and even then will need revisiting every so often.

peter12171 and Dodros like this.
  4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

You have already received some excellent advice. Before I retired as a secondary school SEND teacher, I compiled a booklet to encourage use of mnemonics when supporting students' working memory across the curriculum. I have since posted the PDF on the TES Resource Base at https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...mory-activities-across-the-curriculum-3000821. It has proved to be my most popular resource and it's free!

If you want to access professional literature offering strategies to meet the subject-specific needs of students of English with special educational needs, including specific learning difficulties (dyslexia), you might find the documents posted at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw7z_4bLjOOEY3hQbV9uMnRfZVE of some interest or use.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    peter12171 likes this.
  5. amylrichie

amylrichie New commenter

Thank you so much everyone for your help. I have taken a look through the links provided and have thought about the dyslexia queries. Will speak to mum regarding how we go forward with support.