1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short story collections for reading aloud to Years 5 & 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ROSIEGIRL, Feb 16, 2012.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I cover PPA in years 5&6 and would like to read to them sometimes - you know, that odd 20 minutes at the end of the day that we get now and again.
    As I cover 6 different classes and the opportunities for reading are a bit irregular, due to timetabling etc. I need a collection of individual stories, rather than a novel.
    When I teach Years 3&4 I dip into fun books like Horrid Henry - but what about the older children?
    They're a bit iffy about being read to and they're not really used to it, sadly, but usually enjoy it once we get going.
    Any ideas for books?
    Thanks!

2. ROSIEGIRL

I cover PPA in years 5&6 and would like to read to them sometimes - you know, that odd 20 minutes at the end of the day that we get now and again.
    As I cover 6 different classes and the opportunities for reading are a bit irregular, due to timetabling etc. I need a collection of individual stories, rather than a novel.
    When I teach Years 3&4 I dip into fun books like Horrid Henry - but what about the older children?
    They're a bit iffy about being read to and they're not really used to it, sadly, but usually enjoy it once we get going.
    Any ideas for books?
    Thanks!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The Day I Fell Down the Toilet is a fab collection of poems that saved my skin when I did supply a few years ago. Children loved them and would ask each time I had their class for certain poems over and over. Or, if there was time, I'd choose children to pick random page numbers and we would read whichever poem came up.

4. Paul Jennings.

5. ROSIEGIRL

They look great - just what I need. Thank you both ... off to Amazon!

6. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

I've used lots of the"Short' books with Y6... Short and shocking, Short, Short and scary etc all very short stories but Y6 loved them!
    Sorrim x