1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short stories from different cultures - suggestions? And Roald Dahl?

Discussion in 'English' started by chocolateheaven, Jan 23, 2011.

1. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

Hi all,
    Am trying to find some short stories for yr10, different cultures, for English CA. My group are quite weak, and need stories that are quite accessible. Wondered whether you had any suggestions?
    Also, does anyone know whether Roald Dahl counts as an author from a different culture? Does Wales count? and Ireland?

2. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

Hi all,
    Am trying to find some short stories for yr10, different cultures, for English CA. My group are quite weak, and need stories that are quite accessible. Wondered whether you had any suggestions?
    Also, does anyone know whether Roald Dahl counts as an author from a different culture? Does Wales count? and Ireland?

3. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

OCR did a lovely anthology called Opening Worlds.

4. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I was going to suggest that... I did the stories with a lower ability set and they quite liked them. There used to be quite a lot of resources around too.

5. How about 'Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence' - by Doris Pilkington
    It's a true story about an aboriginal girl who walks 1600 KM with her two sisters to get home after being taken from her parents custody. There's a movie which was filmed based on the book to which would be a good follow up for your students to compare the two.

6. Would NZ count for you as "different culture"? If so, many short stories by Witi Ihimaera around Maori culture, but including what are mostly universal themes. e.g. A 'trilogy' such as In Search of the Emerald City, Yellow Brick Road and Return from Oz. Apart from the obvious links to themes in Wizard of Oz, the stories deal with rural/urban shift, racism, fitting in, generational change, all told from a young teen's point of view.
    Doris Lessing's Sunrise on the Veld (South African) may also be of use to you.