1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short Stories for 8 year old

Discussion in 'Primary' started by a2ztuition, Jan 25, 2016.

1. a2ztuition

a2ztuition New commenter

Hi,
    I am a tutor who normally covers Maths and 11+ topics. I have an 8 year old student who is extremely bright but she struggles with English, comprehension and creative writing. She is bilingual in English and Russian and I have been asked by her mum to help her develop her English skills. As part of this process, I would like to read short stories with her but I need some professional advice on suitable short story books. I only see her for 1 hour per week so short stories would be ideal.
    Ideally, I need a paperback book for my student and a Kindle version for me (I am partially sighted so I can't read the book at the same time as the student).
    Can anyone suggest anything suitable.
    Thanks in advance.

Brian.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You need to get hold of a book specifically designed with short comprehension texts with questions. If I can find my books I'll check to see if they're still in print.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Right first one I used a lot is
    Brilliant Activities for Reading Comprehension available by year group eg 7-8, 8-9 etc. but Nelson and Scholastic publications also do versions.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

http://www.little-linguist.co.uk/russian-books-for-children.html

This link has some excellent dual language books, so she can enjoy the story in Russian, and learn English at the same time. You can also see how the grammatical differences in sentences occur.

Some would be generally be considered too young for an 8 year old, but my year 3s love the same books in French-English in the reading corner and love them.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.