1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

short skirts and dresses

Discussion in 'Personal' started by manjit_v, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Should teachers wear really short skirts or dresses?

I wanted other people's views on how women should dress for schoolm

Cheers

2. 'Really short dresses' - no, not unless it's over a pair of trousers. Do you really need to ask?

3. No.
    Were you in any doubt OP?

4. No.
    If you teach young children, they'll see your knickers.
    If you teach teenagers, they'll want to see your knickers.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

[​IMG]

6. salsera

salsera New commenter

Don't wear any knickers - then there's no problem with them seeing them!!

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I could use this as a threat. I bet all my classes would be really really quiet and hard-working![​IMG]

8. No short skirts, and no cleavage either, please. Not even to arouse the head in the cause of promotion

9. salsera

salsera New commenter

Spoilsport!

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am not a short skirt wearer and have recently discovered that you have to be careful with dresses. The one that I bought was knee length and totally respectable when I stand up.
    It really rides up when I sit down though. I am sure that others could cope with it better but I wear trousers most of the time and I am just not ready for all risky situations. The first day I wore it I leaned down into the car to pick up the de-icer and I am very glad the neighbours weren't up yet. I am sure I flashed more than I ever intended to.
    Generaly rule of thumb - If you ask yourself if it is too short, then it is.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

And not in the staff room unless you really want the person opposite to see your underwear...i usually have to move places or avert my eyes .....some of the TA'sare not much better,
    Cleavage.....no...i watched with interest as a young teacher unthinkingly bent over a child working........the yr3 opposite her did have along stare down to her navel lol/ Me ..i was watching the very nice rear lol
    not officially of course!

12. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Agree with no short skirts or cleavage (at either end) on show.

Another no-no I have noticed is the off-the-shoulder top which shows the (admittedly usually quite pretty) bra strap.

13. When I was training I was told don't show off shoulders, boobs, bum, tum and I have generally stuck to that although i often wear a thick strapped top under a cardy in summer and take said cardy off in my PPAs if it's hot.

14. Teachers should not wear short dresses or skirts. To me this means that dresses or skirts should reach the knee. Shorter dresses (a few inches above the knee) might be worn with leggings or trousers, but this depends on the dress!
    My general rule is that I need to cover my thighs, cleavage and navel when choosing outfits for school. I think that baring shoulders is acceptable if straps are an inch or more wide.

15. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I admit that when I started teaching I was, as a male, both shocked and embarrassed at times by how many female staff members chose to dress. The thing I never got and yet is relevant to the OP is I'd ask myself not IF women should dress like this, but more WHY do they do so in front of young/pre-teen and teenage boys? It just would not be accepted if male teachers dressed provocatively and all men know it would be career suicide......yet when the ladies do it, we just smile and ever so softly address it? It is an enigma to me how/why women (of course, not all) do not feel the same fears as men about dressing scantily in our profession.

16. In my last school (a boys' comp) in the summer term there was a sweet and rather naive young ITT who was so thrilled to see how the bottom set Y10 responded to her when she went to give them help with their work. After the first week she was proud to note that they particularly wanted her to help them, in preference over their teacher, an AST.
    She had worked in an office for the last few years before starting her PGCE. I wonder if she's worked out yet that an office wardrobe doesn't dual-purpose very well for school?

17. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

It was a long time ago now, but as Probationers (what they used to call NQTs) we were told not to wear short skirts, plunging necklines and to always wear a sleeved top - even if they were just little cap sleeves.

We once had a very strict DH who viewed sleeveless tops as beachwear and I supposet this has stuck with me.

I agree with the person who takes two layers and wears their strappy top just during non-contact time - presumably in the staffroom.

I sometimes think - what if a man wore this? We would all find it unacceptable if men came to school in a vest top.

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

you really dont want to see me ina vest top..........overweight and with man boobs! lol

19. I'm the same with sleeveless tops for some reason, I don't know why I think the tops of my arms are too rude to show but on some level I think i do!!!

20. I should have mentioned earlier that I only bare my shoulders when wearing dresses. Tank tops are a different kettle of fish. It definitely depends on the individual piece of clothing. I have three sleeveless dress that I wear regularly, and all three dresses are very classy and appropriate.
    The selection of clothing is probably very different in the UK, but men's "vest tops" in Australia are all very "bogan" and casual while women's vest tops can be quite nice. Not all sleeveless tops are vest tops; some can be very nice.
    For example:
    http://www.portmans.com.au/tops/work/512505