1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short, simple but meaningful end of term lessons esp. for boys

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by rtmiss, Jun 23, 2009.

1. rtmiss

rtmiss New commenter

End of term approaching, I'm struggling to keep boys in Year 7 and 8 doing meaningful work. They want to do "something fun" which in their terms means mess about and cause trouble.
    Am at my wits end trying to think of stuff to do. Huge range of abilities, some want to finish present project, which is great, but those who have finished are going through supplementary tasks at speed. They don't see them as relevant. There is one computer between 20 and therte are no materials other than oil pastels and coloured pencils. Does anyone out there have and ideas. They are not capable of listening to any complicated instructions. Help!

2. Quickly, clear the classroom, giant roll of paper and set a group task to draw the future city...
    Task: https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6002864
    Context: https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6010596
    Hope that helps.

3. They love doing 3d work. How about wire insects. You can use that medium garden wire from B&Q - it is quite cheap. They like doing nasty beasties. You could cover it in paper mache or not - depending on how messy you are prepared to go.

4. You could show them the Louise Bourgeois spider from Tate to work in with the theme.

5. I found the boys loved my Hundertwasser work. I collected meltable plastic from anything that arrived throught the post or from the supermarket. Using silicon or teflon ( about 3.99) sheets over an ironing blanket. and borrow an old iron you get the most fantstic colourful results. They need watching of course and 2 are better than one but it appeals to their distructive nature. other things like plastic sweet papers and sequins work well. You can also use bubble plastic. lay everthing together on a baking parchment sheet. I make the boys work on drawing if they are waiting. If they mess around they miss their turn, so it keeps them focussed. You mauy be able to find some references to this on old threads from about 18 months ago. A very cheap and sustainable way of making 'Stained glass windows'. They look great and keep thei colour.

6. Hi- that plastic idea sounds fun- I'm letting my yr 8 roll out air drying clay to make tiles and letting them use the Indian motif carved stamps that I bought from Starbecks resources- go online..they had used them to stamp patterns around their paintings of Indian temples and palaces-so it links. Great thing about air drying clay - no loading kilns!
    But adapt theme to project you are finishing.

BIG Calligraphy- 2 pencils masking tape together creates 'nib'.Don't need calligraphy pens
    Work on big paper as the letters will be 8 cm + high!
    Grip at 45 degrees with stiff grasp and wrist and flexible shoulder .Angle is correct if when you draw a plus sign (+ )the width is the same on both vertical axis and horizontal. Keep grip the same when you draw a curve...
    Students can make goodbye cards for departing staff or lost property sales- cake sales-sports day...

7. Sounds great .Green garden wire would be quite child friendly too

8. Hi.
    On the subject of double pencils, check out the previous post or click on this link. You might find it interesting. http://calligraffiti.spaces.live.com/ Come and join in the fun.
    Cheers. Bill.