1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short people and trousers!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daffodilval, Feb 12, 2011.

1. AHGRRR, I desperayely need a pair of smart, black tousers to go with a top that I am wearing to a wedding next week...no problem, you may ask!
    Well, I DO have a problem, 2 to be exact..,my short legs, 25 inch or at a push 27 inch would be ok..BUT the only half desent shops near me, Dotty P, Matalan and Next, struggle to supply them, matalan are too cheap and very badly cut, I look like a clown, DP, are not cheap and I still look like a clown, , very wide at the thighs, Next have none..EEK

2. I have the same problem - same teeny size as you. I find M&S the best bet - I can quite often get away with their trousers if I have 2 inch heels on. Failing that I amke Mr Lev turn them up for me!

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Most clothing shop staff know of a small business close by with a sewing machine who'll do a proper job of turning them up for you. Ask one of the older assistants.

4. Have you tried ASDA?

5. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I have a similar problem I only have 28" inside legs however I have a 38" waist (Now back to 36" recently) and im 6' 1".
    Up until I was about 17 I found that the best way was to buy from the kids section, most of the trousers go leg wise to about 25"
    Yes I do look a bit like a clown when I walk and run.

6. impis

impis New commenter

Bon Marche do a range of trousers in sizes ranging from a 25" length up to a 31" length.

Is there a Bon Marche close to you?

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I liked Principles for work trousers. Although not had to buy any since they went bust. They still exist in Debs? x

8. Hemming web any good?

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

At least you can take them up! I struggle to find trousers long enough, long tall sally is sometimes the only place I can find trousers that fit.

10. You can order Next stuff online and get them delivered to your local shop for no extra. I usually end up buying normal length and taking them up, huge faff (especially without a sewing machine) but as marshy says at least we have that option!

11. impis

impis New commenter

12. Thanks everyone,
    I'm off to another town tomorrow, where there is a M & S, hopefully I'll get fixed up there, can't be bothered with the hassle of turning trousers up, I have no machine and I also think some trousers lose their shape once they are turned up, (with my hand sewing anyway). I have a few black 'work' trousers, but really don't want to wear them if I can help it..

13. Yayyy, got fixed up right away in M & S, Peruna, lovely dressy trousers, perfect length, and onlly £27...[​IMG]

14. I do believe that having " an half descent" is your problem. Maybe a nappy would suffice your parameters better?

15. I have the exact opposite problem.
    Inside leg of 37-38 so always looks like i am wearing shorts or 3/4 length.
    Hey, here's an idea, both grt "normal" length, chop a few inches off the bottom of yours, tag them onto mine, both win :)
    Seriously though, I know it is a bit insulting, but have you tried kids trousers? maybe shorter and generally fasionable these days.

16. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Join the club!
    As a 'petite'- i.e. short person, I have always had a problem finding trousers which fit properly.
    M and S are good for the vertically challenged, as are Principles Petite and Wallis Petite.
    My favourite is La Redoute (catalogue). As a French brand, they cater for petite ladies very well. Most French women are about my height, and being a size 6 doesn't restrict me to teenage fashion.

17. French women are notoriously small. T'was the peasant lifestyle..
    I really think trousers are best avoided by people without legs.

18. Flares which are a little too long for me without shoes on, always make my legs look longer with a pair of heels.
    I always buy trousers which I know are too long and never wear trousers with flat shoes. In fact I never wear flat shoes...

19. I'm small.

20. It honestly doesn't cost a lot to have trousers altered by a seamstress or tailor. I had some altered recently (normally don't need trousers shortening but did with this pair) and it only cost me 6 €.
    If done by a professional, the trousers won't lose their shape either, as they will take this into account.
    Anyway - glad you found some (Per Una are good - Sainsburys also do different lengths, btw).
    But don't think that getting trousers altered is very pricey! And some stores offer the service for free.