1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short notice Yr2 lesson observation- help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Nov 4, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Very annoyed, found out last night that HT is starting lesson obs next week, and mine is on Monday. So now have no PPA time to prepare. The focus of the lesson by the HT is reflection and progress, so making sure it is differentiated etc. Im struggling to think of how to differentiate efficiently in my lesson. Its literacy, and the LO is to sequence events of a story. Before hand they will have done some freeze frames of the main events, and the main lesson is to sequence these photos, write a simple caption for each, put into a storyboard. But im worried it isnt enough for my highers, because they can already sequence. I thought about extending them to include thought/speech bubbles in their storyboard, ready for the next lesson, but is that ok? Im worried that when we reflect at the end at i ask what they've learnt, they'll say nothing. Its one of those horrid lessons where its preparing them for a future task, and consolidating previous tasks!!
    Im not a rubbish teacher! Im just tired like the rest of you. Im in my 2nd year of teaching in a new KS and finding this year tougher than my NQT year.
    Please help

2. speech bubbles sounds fine - you could also extend by getting your extension group to use verbs in their captions or using compound sentences with connectives such as because, and and but or adjectives/wow /interesting words - brainstorm some of these during your main lesson or during the lesson before, and some of the core group might also use these - dont do what I did and give them a prepared word bank! You could also differentiate by giving phase 2,3 4 and 5 tricky and h/f word wordbanks - phase 2 for support, 2-4 for core and phase 2 - 5 for extension - laminate if time and you have them as a permanent resource.
    alternatively create a wordbank using some of the vocab from the text. This will show that you are extending the childrens vocabulary using new words from literature.
    good luck!
    charkeythecat

3. rainbowdrop86

thanks for that charkeythecat
    ive got word mats which ill use for my support group. Was thinking of perhaps getting challenge group to use adverbs/time connectives in captions.
    any other ideas?

4. I've been teaching since 1975 and I'm REALLY fed up of being observed. It's my turn (again) in a couple of weeks. I'm going to put a pair of pants on my head, a pencil up each nose and say, "A wibble, a wibble!"
    It worked for Captain Blackadder so it might work for me.
    Why does it all have to be so formal? Pop in from time to time to observe me and work with the kids. Get to know what they are REALLY like and then you'll have a much better idea of where I'm coming from.

5. I agree willow - I often think "If only the head would come and walk through now" when the children are really engaged and enjoying something. Less pressure so no nervous teaching which results in mistakes and things happening that would not normally and the head gets a true picture of your teaching and the children in your class.
    All too often they just whizz through to see somebody about something. I know a lot of people would like the head to never be in their classroom, but I have nothing to hide and would just like them to see all the good stuff that goes on on a daily basis.

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Have a look on iboard there are some good sequencing activities there and usually an opportunity to type something. So a good way to get a tick for ICT.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The least able could simply sequence and be able to retell the story to a TA or you. The middles to write a caption for the pictures. The most able to write the story using the pictures as clues.

8. rainbowdrop86

i dont want my more able to write the story because thats the long term objective. the idea of the sequencing is to become more aware of the story etc so that they can write it the week after.
    im just gonna do as planned like normal, and she gets everyday normal teaching rather than me stressing and going over the top