1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short long-term supply responsibilities

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by teacheramos, Nov 3, 2015.

1. teacheramos

teacheramos New commenter

Hi there,
    I have been supplying through an agency since sept and have just been asked by a regular school to do 6 weeks of supply there (last week of Dec-early Feb) until the teacher comes back from Mat leave. I just wanted to find out what I should or shouldn't be required to do as I am doing supply for the reasons that I don't want all the laborious responsibilities that go with teaching and don't want to be taking up all my evenings and weekends.
    I do like the school, its a y2 class and they are 2 form entry and quite organised with planning. I will be expected to plan for the class and of course mark all the work. They have said they will give me PPA time too with the other teacher which is good. Should I still expect more pay from the agency? If so how much.
    I am willing to go to staff meetings but need to leave around 4:15 on the other days due to the distance. I don't think there is parents evening but should I be liable to be observed or involved in data or book scrutinies or anything like that?
    The good thing is that it is only 6 weeks and I am willing to give the class my all for that duration, but still it's enough time to become stressed out and bogged down with work so I am just looking for the best way to approach this. Any advice will be much appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

You should ask for an enhanced daily rate. Don't be surprised when they offer you a nominal £5 extra per day. Don't be surprised if they tell you that the school are not prepared to pay any more than the going daily rate. If you cannot agree on an increase in the daily rate then email the agency stating that you are prepared to mark all work taught but will not plan the lessons or attend after school meetings.

The daily rate contracts you to work from 8.30 am until 3.30 pm (or whatever 'day' your contract stipulates). You are not salaried like a permanent teacher and if the school and agency expect extras then they'll have to pay for them. Why give the class your all? Certainly try to make a good impression if you are intending to apply for a permanent post but otherwise just do what the agency have contracted you to do.

I know that @nearmiss will tell you to stand your ground.

3. teacheramos

OK thanks so much that's a very helpful reply. You are right that I shouldn't be taken for a ride.
    What would you say is reasonable? An extra £10 per day. I am sure I will be planning/marking for at least an hour per evening. Thanks

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Stupidly I accepted £5 per day years ago. I wouldn't now. I think some posters would advise you ask for £20, after all you'll be doing the bulk of work at home.

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

If you entered supply to redress the work-life balance, then it's a no-brainer. You will have to speak to both your agency and the school and explain that you will be prepared to do it but only if you get guaranteed PPA to accommodate the increased workload and since you are not a staff member, you don't need to attend meetings after the time you have stipulated. The thing is, taking a long-term cover is like walking on quicksand and you get sucked in and stuck there unable to move very quickly.
    If the school has test driven you and found your work acceptable, they should be prepared to pay what their budget will already have allowed for and that is the full salary equivalent.
    Your trump card is that you are a supply teacher. It works both ways, they can let you go at short notice, you can change your mind at short notice. It's a handy little earner to ensure you can afford a nice post Christmas bill payment so go for it, but only on your terms.

Veerwal likes this.
  6. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

NearMiss has nailed it, as always!
    I do despair when I see on forums - eg the book of faces how supply teachers undervalue themselves and get sucked into full time workload for a supply rate.

7. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Thanks Pizzo, feelin' the lurve.
    What I omitted to say was that any negotiations about pay must be with the agency and not directly to the school. Never talk money with the school. You are employed by the agency and they have to act as intermediary.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes to all of the above and ensure they know you have to leave at a certain time each day.

9. teacheramos

Thanks for all the advice. Yes nearmiss that definitely puts everything in perspective.. I don't want to slip into any sinking sand! Yes the school specifically asked for me so you are right, they should pay me to scale. To be fair the agency have been very good to me so far and they have asked me what I would be happy with so I have asked for my pay on the pay scale divided by 195 to get my day rate. Fingers crossed it gets agreed to. I have also made it clear that I won't be able to stay late. They are still at will to choose another teacher if they aren't happy with that.
    Has anyone actually done a short term position like this kind of length before?
    I was also thinking that the pressures may not be too full on for the 6 weeks as it's not like I will hold accountability in the long term or be involved in ongoing school initiatives etc.. I can pull the supply teacher card and cut a few corners along the way to ensure I still have a work/life balance. And then if all else fails I can also leave if it'snot working out. The only thing with that is they have given me quite a bit of regular work but hey plenty more schools in the sea I guess. Thanks everyone.