1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

short list of maths in films - that can be recommended

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by armandine2, Feb 14, 2017.

1. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

the scene in National Treasure 2 Book Of Secrets where Nicolas Cage, Ed Evil and the two tinies are trapped on a balanced stone ledge using only centre of mass to figure out a solution

3. adamcreen

the Harold and Kumar square root of 3 poem in Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay

4. adamcreen

NOT "A Beautiful Mind" - the whole thing is made up in his head anyway, and the explanation of Nash and the girls in the bar is really badly presented

5. adamcreen

NOT "X + Y", unless you are trying to convince any young autistic geniuses that you have that in a fictional version of their life they will get onto the Olympiad team and get married to a Chinese woman after their father dies

6. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

But it is based on a true story. Although they got divorced in the end.
    The man who knew infinity is a good one.
    Or if you want to see essy Maths made to look difficult, good will hunting.

I prefer documentaries to films.

7. PFCDaz

PFCDaz New commenter

the scene from die hard with a vengeance when samuel l jackson and bruce willis have to difuse a bomb by getting exactly the right amount of water in one jug using 2 jugs of the wrong size. I used a clip of this once to begin a lesson that involved lots of versions of this puzzle...

BBO555 and simonbfc like this.
  8. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

9. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Enigma, Flatland the Movie.

11. laura2222

laura2222 New commenter

Taken 2 has a scene about loci.

12. mike372

mike372 New commenter

I uploaded this video :)

I did it in my PGCE year and I remember it being a hassle to remove all the swearing! Watching it slowly creep up to 170,000 views has been quite strange.

13. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

I've not watched it, but been meaning to for ages. Fermat's Room. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1016301/
    In short, 4 mathematicians are trapped in a room and forced to solve problems, if they fail then bad things happen.

14. jonwood_uk

jonwood_uk New commenter

Not a film but there are some interesting scenes in the series 'Numbers'