1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short film on children of ex-pats

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TheoGriff, Mar 3, 2016.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best wishes

suem75, sah79 and ejclibrarian like this.
  2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Thanks TheoGriff. Really interesting. This is certainly very much like my own experience. My parents were international teachers from the early 90s (my mother is still teaching!) so we moved around a lot. I went to seven different schools in 4 different countries before I graduated and went off to university. I don't feel like I have a 'home' as such, and it doesn't help when my family is spread all over the world. I guess it's wherever my partner and I live that's our home.

3. sah79

sah79 Occasional commenter

As a teacher of TCK and now the mother of one, I appreciated the view points in this, and it's something I talk with my son about often, even though he's only 4, he talks a lot about where he is from, where he was born, where we live now, and where 'home' is. And the idea of tolerance and acceptance of other cultures and ways of life, was an important plus point for me in bringing up my son as a TCK.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

One thing very noticeable in TCK who I taught was there acceptance and tolerance of other cultures and ethnicities (generally - there were very rare exceptions).

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

'One thing very noticeable in TCK who I taught was there acceptance and tolerance of other cultures and ethnicities.'

Very true, though some rough edges may need to be knocked off before they arrive on that elevated plane of international tolerance. Conversation somewhere in Latin America between our youngest and his best buddy, both nine:

'What do you guys speak at home in England? French?'

'No, you dork, we speak English. We invented it.'

'Mom! Will says they invented English!'

'Well, they did, honey.'

'Jeez!'

Mom was Tex-Mex.

Our lad, now 33, has been fluent in Spanish for most of his life and speaks Dutch but not as well as his four-year-old daughter who switches easily between Nederlands and English, and has made a start on Spanish, much to the delight of our Andalucian neighbours.

I have just driven our other son (also a Spanish speaker) to work through a Minneapolis rush hour. He coaches Little League at his children’s school. His is at least the fourth Mainwaring generation to settle ‘abroad’, so I remind myself that the so-called Third Culture phenomenon wasn’t just something dreamed up by Geoff Thompson or Mike Maybury.