1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

short & fat method?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by msa969, Aug 8, 2018.

1. msa969

msa969 New commenter

I am reading specs and teaching guides for new courses, it mentions teaching using short and fat method, and the other one i think they call long and thin, what do they mean?

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

***!! ROFLOL. When you find out, let us all know. These are brand spanking new shiny acronyms, not of heard of before.

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Never heard of either of those before :D but as a wild guess, maybe it refers to the depth in which you cover a given topic, and as a consequence, the time spent covering it ?

The fat versus thin part:
    • 'Short and fat' sessions would cover a topic in more breadth but less depth.
    • 'Long and thin' sessions would cover a topic in less breadth but greater depth.
    The long versus short part:
    • The depth in which you covered a topic, determines the time spent on that topic.
    Any lesson could contain both fat and thin elements, as a means of differentiation, allowing more able students to do 'thin' tasks, requiring greater depth of understanding of a topic ?

4. msa969

msa969 New commenter

I read a lot of stuff yesterday and my mind was not the most lucid, perhaps i got the wording mixed up.

5. itgeek

itgeek New commenter

I always understood short and fat to refer to a unit timetables in a semester as opposed to long and thin over a year. So long and thin 1 hr per week for a year and short and fat being 2 hrs per week for a semester.

6. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Makes sense to me :)