1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short course maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by hebridean girl, Feb 1, 2011.

1. I was hoping that someone might have heard of a Board that runs a short course GCSE.I'd be gratefil for any help.

2. Do you mean a half GCSE in maths? Same standard but less material? Like the GCSE short course in ICT which was introduced when students couldn't get much access to computers?
    I don't think there is one.
    But there are many other courses which may suit your students. Could you perhaps give us some more information about your context?

3. Yes, that's just what I mean.We are a small special school with mainly dyslexic pupils The GCSE maths is simply too daunting for them. So I'm looking for something a little more than Entry Level and less than the full blown GCSE foundation .
    Is there anything out there that fits the bill.

cheers

4. Short GCSE course in maths?
    90 minutes, edexcel foundation paper. I really feel any logical adult (ie those in education or half decent job or even just remembers maths from 15-20 years ago) could sit the paper and get a D grade. The jump to C can take a couple of weeks from experience for most semi switched on adults.
    For kids? see some advice above but depending on their ability or even the Adult Numeracy and Literacy qualification, level 1 for lower ability pupils, level 2 as a progression or for more able pupils.
    I thinks its a case of:
    Who is it for (ability wise)?
    Is it for learning or required for CPD/job?

5. DM

DM New commenter

6. A few years ago we entered borderline pupils for the Adult Numeracy and Literacy with some success (I think the maths counts as half a GCSE, the English another half?). It might be fine for your purpose and worth a look.

7. I've also taught Adult Numeracy courses and have found them good.
    It's useful that every question is grounded in a real context. This is a nice change of emphasis and can help break through barriers for some students.

8. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Sarah,

I think the course was called Adult Literecy And Numeracy, ALAN

You know how much us teachers like our acronims.

May have been a Fruedian slip if Becks was talking?

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I got it Bbibbler, funny ![​IMG] I suspect it went right over someone's head.

10. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

On a serious note, the ALAN tests are not counted as GCSE equivelent anymore.

11. Thank the lord for that. I think it has its place as a short course but not as a GCSE equiv
    "Hello Pupils, welcome to year 10...the next two years of your school life are very serious and you wil follow an intensive program of 4 hours per week in maths (or 3 in some) you will be scared time and time again by teachers on how imporant these 2 years are .....and then of course you will do the ALAN qualification in one day, Numbers in the morning, letters in the afternoon and be awarded a GCSE B grade"
    I got that far and dismissed any further content