1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short break alone - have you done it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Jul 31, 2011.

1. As usual Mr Gorgy is likely to be working all over the holiday. This has been a really tough year for me - still is - and to be honest I really feel as if I need a break, away from home, and school. There is nothing to stop me and money is not an issue (luckily for me, I know). I would prefer to go with him but I really do need to have some time away.
    Have you done it? what have you done? Any recommendations?

2. As usual Mr Gorgy is likely to be working all over the holiday. This has been a really tough year for me - still is - and to be honest I really feel as if I need a break, away from home, and school. There is nothing to stop me and money is not an issue (luckily for me, I know). I would prefer to go with him but I really do need to have some time away.
    Have you done it? what have you done? Any recommendations?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

In your position I would go to a Spa. There are plenty of things going on to opt into or opt out of as you chose.
    Hoar Cross Hall in Staffordshire is lovely but there are plenty around the country.

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I've done breaks away by myself a few times, abroad an in the UK.
    What about trying a spa break for a day or two?

5. Oh yes!
    Twice!
    Once on an activity break - food based [​IMG]
    A second to Cornwall, lots of walks, craft and art shops and just mooching.
    Climber is quite amenable and has been away on his own a few times too!
    We prefer to go away together, but that hasn't always been possible.
    My main recomendation is not to go for too long the first time. You can get quite anxious about the remaining days.... I went for to Cornwall for 4 day and it was just long enough and I got a mid week special rate on a lovely coastal place.

6. Eva_Smith

Ha ha, great minds Bombay...

7. Thanks for those positive comments! I have just been looking at Stapleford Park which is not far from me. Looks nice. What about dining alone? when I used to stay away for work I used to have an M&S sandwich and a bag of crisps in my room! Sadly Pobs Cornwall is a very long way away, although I would love it.

8. karentee

karentee New commenter

somehting in your room would make you feel quite sad and homesick, you can never be too lonely with a book or newspaper in a cafe, even if it's just a sandwich in a starbucks, a bit of people watching, a few pages of your book, and you'll notice quite a few others doing the same

9. Hoar Cross looks lovely too.

10. Do it! We go away separately more often then together. My idea of hell = a long weekend of cars/planes/tanks etc, his = sailing with strangers on a yacht. We indulge ourselves and no sour grapes either way.
    When I travelled alone, I took a book out in the evening to accompany me at dinner, or a stack of postcards to write.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I just had to be nosey and google the hotel. Looks wonderful. I would have no problem staying by myself for a few days. What about room service for evening meals?

12. Which one? Hoar Cross or Stapleford? they both look nice, don't they? Yes room service would be a good idea, wouldn't it, but I would have to have a massive breakfast!!
    I do quite fancy a spa though. On the other hand though, i wonder if I should go the the gym as usual and use the health suite (= sauna and steam room) and then go and have some pamper treatments on my way home.

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I would love to go away, but I just can't do the whole eating out alone thing - and then I'd end up going to bed at about 9 through sheer boredom!

I'm not a places person, I need my people around me.
    So I guess I'll stay here after all.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've just looked a second one. Very nice too.

15. You could break up the journey, stay overnight and do some shopping in Birmingham, eat a Balti, go to the sea world thingy....
    P'raps not! The tickets are horrendously expensive. Probably cheaper to fly - if the airport still does the Scottish trips!

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The break packages in second hotel look interesting.

17. Eva_Smith

I don't mind having an evening meal by myself. Take a book with you and just relax. Experience has taught me that lots of people eat out alone. My brother works all over the country and when he's away he gets expenses, thus ends up eating alone in restaurants most of the week. Therefore, I can only conclude that it can't be that unusual for someone to go out and eat alone. I actually quite enjoy it.

18. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I haven't ever been away on my own, but my sister has a few times. She's been to Egypt on a Nile cruise, she went to Goa, she went to Morocco......She went with tour groups to Egypt and Morocco, so she had people to talk to, and there were other people there on their own, and she did day trips when she went to Goa.
    I suppose trips like this probably aren't what you want now, but i think plenty of people do take trips on their own. I'm sure there are loads of lovely places to go in the UK and just chill out, read a book etc
    In the past i wouldn't have enjoyed going away on my own, but at the moment with 2 young children the idea sounds very appealing [​IMG]

19. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I have done two trips abroad by myself for 1week at a time. Wouldn't hesitate to do the same again.
    Eating along is not so bad I do it all the time at home!! Honestly though, take a book plus you could write a diary of what you have done that day and plan for the following day.
    Do it and let us know where and I'll have another place to think about for the future.
    Good luck.

20. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

oops - eating alone not along!