1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Short book about depression - an absolute must read!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by craftyangel, Apr 19, 2012.

1. <u>I Had a Black Dog.</u>
    The most fantastic book for anyone who has had depession, is having problems, knows someone with depression, or has no idea about it, it is an absolute must read.
    Short and to the point, the author Matthew Johnstone externalises his depression in the form of a 'Black Dog', the term Winston Churchill used to describe his illness.
    I am currently stuggling with depression and am off work with it. Everything I have wanted to say to people to describe my illness is in the book, with uplifting and inspiring descriptions to help us find hope and learn to manage the illness that is the Black Dog.
    "Having a Black Dog in your life isn't so much about feeling a bit down, sad or blue. At its worst, it's about being devoid of feeling all together."
    Everyone can get something out of this book.

2. <u>I Had a Black Dog.</u>
    The most fantastic book for anyone who has had depession, is having problems, knows someone with depression, or has no idea about it, it is an absolute must read.
    Short and to the point, the author Matthew Johnstone externalises his depression in the form of a 'Black Dog', the term Winston Churchill used to describe his illness.
    I am currently stuggling with depression and am off work with it. Everything I have wanted to say to people to describe my illness is in the book, with uplifting and inspiring descriptions to help us find hope and learn to manage the illness that is the Black Dog.
    "Having a Black Dog in your life isn't so much about feeling a bit down, sad or blue. At its worst, it's about being devoid of feeling all together."
    Everyone can get something out of this book.

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Thank you craftyangel.

4. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Will try and get hold of a copy

You might also want to try "Sunbathing in the Rain" - I'm sorry I can't remember who it is by but is a touching and at times humorous account of a woman suffering from depression.

I read this when I was suffering and it struck a chord with me. The woman describes how she would imagine changing her job or moving to the other side of the world or other such grandiose plans and her husband said
    "Love - you can't even open a tin of beans. We're fine as we are"

Take care all

Fudge

5. As you can tell my recovery is going along quite nicely.
    I've gone from scribbled odd words and a rather plaintiff "I'm not right" to pointing at cartoon pictures.
    Still, all good.