1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shops that never were.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jolly_Roger1, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Shops in Uxbridge, even those in the two shopping malls, are on the decline, so much so that every third of fourth one has been taken over by a charity, or is just left empty. Recently, I have noticed a new variation on this theme; the new business that takes over a shop and then never opens. Judging from the new frontages and interior fittings, serious money has been spent but the opening day never comes. The 'opening soon' signs in the window give way to those advertising circuses, and a pile of unanswered mail accumulates behind the door. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The shops here just stay empty. One part of town has one shop nestling amongst 11 empty ones.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

When we were house hunting a few years ago, we came upon a development advertised on Rightmove as 'coming soon.' We visited the area to see where it was and could see the developers hoarding around the site.

Nothing happened! It stayed like that and remains the same four years later. Tumbleweed around the area now of course.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Some funny people in Uxbridge,[​IMG]

aspensquiver likes this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Charity shop central round our way. Without a significant online presence independent retailers based in high street shops are struggling. People aren't spending much at present, for various reasons. I'd be surprised if high street sales are massively up on last year's this Xmas.

6. Jolly_Roger1

Can't argue with that!

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There's a shop on the high street of my local town that has had a sign up nearly all year saying the existing local shop was moving to the bigger premises in October. Then in October the sign was changed and it now says Easter.

Nearby there's a restaurant that closed down in January in a hurry (I'm guessing a hygiene problem) a sign in the window said it would open again in a day or two, it was there until about Sept when it finally did open again. It's been shut again for the last couple of months.

Do they not have to pay rates or other ongoing costs?

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Uxbridge? Gene Vincent et al Country? Are we supposed to care? Bovvered? Back?

9. Jolly_Roger1

There is a Noodle Bar, with an extravagant frontage of a smiling panda, which looks like the rather camp bear from the Moscow Olympics. In the Spring, it was 'opening soon', and when the shutters were raised, you could see all the tables and chairs ready for the diners; it looked really nice inside. It stayed like this for a few weeks, then the post started to build up around the door. Not long afterwards, the shutters were closed again, and so it has remained. I wonder if it someone's tax loss!

Elsewhere, even the charity shops are changing hands between one charity and another. Age Concern is now the Dogs' Trust.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Maybe waiting for Black Friday?