1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shopping with children

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lisa54321, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 Occasional commenter

Can you still take your children to the supermarket?????? Sorry, but I'm confused because I can't not take them because I have no one to leave them with, so what I'm i supposed to do?????

2. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

Here in Spain you can take your child shopping if you have no one to look after them. Depending on their age, maybe they could wait outside or in the car rather than go into the shop with you.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The law permits it if you live in the same household or have shared parenting. Supermarkets may impose their own rules.

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  4. Lisa54321

Not to be rude or anything, but are you saying that I can't take my children to the supermarket????

5. Lisa54321

It was the same here! But in the past 2 days I've seen lots to say that you can no longer take children and seen lots to say that you can still take children!!!! I am honestly confused!!!!!!

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Local Sainsburys want only one adult to go shopping, but you can take children if you must. Just not two adults (presumably unless one is disabled / needs assistance).

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I'm saying that whatever the law says the supermarket may chose to impose ite own regulation. The law does not prohibit it.

border_walker likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So I will be standing 2 metres behind mrs B with my own basket!

agathamorse likes this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It is getting close to the point where you may not want to, whatever the policy.

Once people have it in their brains (as many do) all kids have the disease and are spreading it, they become quite nasty towards you - that you and I may be able to handle but it can scare young children.

I am convinced too many adults base their 'expert'knowledge on an old episode of 'The Simpsons' where kids were sending new germs on to adults and the adults dying on the spot.

With stores now asking you not to take kids unless necessary, I fear it won't be long before vigilantes change that to 'why the (expletive) are you killing us all with THAT child????''

In essence, it just is not worth it.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If you know the lay out of the shop,you could divide up the shopping in order to spend less time in the shop?

smoothnewt and agathamorse like this.
  11. Lisa54321

Good! Just hope that Asda is the same!! I don't know how the hell I'm going to do my shopping if I can't take my children!!!!!!!!!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Lisa54321

Well I don't have a choice but to take my children!!!!!

agathamorse and dumpty like this.
  13. Lisa54321

Are Asda and Tesco still allowing children at the moment??

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Our local tesco has introduced a one way system that you are supposed to follow around the store. Great except you have to walk down every aisle and are not supposed to overtake which means everyone gets stuck behind Doris who can't decide (or remember) what she came in for.

agathamorse and bajan like this.
  15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Other people will really appreciate it if you keep your children close to you if you can.

Jamvic and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  16. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

You mentioned your husband on your other thread. Can the children not stay with him while you go shopping?

Jamvic likes this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My son doesn't take his children because he wants to protect them.

Jamvic, Lalad and RepelloInimicum like this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I remember very distinctly that your children are secondary age.
    I remember because you posted a while back that they were going to come in to the school where you work, which is primary, and help out.
    You posted this proudly, and I expressed shock at the irresponsibility, so on that basis I am going to express even more shock now because you do not need to take your secondary aged children to the supermarket.
    i know all parents are different, and I also know that some secondary kids have needs which prevent them being left alone, but that does not apply to you because you took them into your school as helpers.
    Stop ignoring the need to isolate. You leave your kids at home when you go shopping.
    Stop undermining the efforts of others.
    Stop trawling your kids about with you.
    What do you not get about this?

Is it that you subscribe to a religion which abnegates the science of illness?
    My question is serious-I have met this already this week.

19. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

When shopping yesterday I saw someone with a child leave them in the car. They had parked close to the door. The child seemed sensible, but definitely primary age.

20. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'm not sure all secondary age children can be left alone - I'd have doubts about U13s (so Y7 & some of Y8).

I suggest anyone told to leave their child at home/in a car reads this:

The law on leaving your child on their own
    The law doesn’t say an age when you can leave a child on their own, but it’s an offence to leave a child alone if it places them at risk.

Use your judgement on how mature your child is before you decide to leave them alone, e.g. at home or in a car.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) says (from Gov.uk):

• children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time
    • children under 16 shouldn’t be left alone overnight
    • babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone
    Parents can be prosecuted if they leave a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’.

https://www.gov.uk/law-on-leaving-your-child-home-alone