1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shopping in Brum

Discussion in 'Personal' started by headforheights, Feb 25, 2011.

1. My friend and I are staying in Birmingham this weekend - never been before. Where would you recommend for our retail therapy?

2. My friend and I are staying in Birmingham this weekend - never been before. Where would you recommend for our retail therapy?

3. Alum Rock or the Bull Ring....take your pick.

4. Alum Rock??
    Any particular shops for bargains??

5. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

We have one or two pound shops

6. Don't forget to take a break from your shopping - Druckers Austrian Coffee/Cake shops are rather wonderful. As I recall there are 3 in Birmingham including one in the Bull Ring....I don't recall there being a Druckers in Alum Rock when I was last there, so my vote goes for the Bull Ring!

7. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I think Druckers may be closed/ceased trading Beth, the one in Wolverhampton has.

8. is there anything to do in Birmingham other than shop?!

9. Probably my fault! I used to beg to be taken there every time I had visitors...Wolverhampton...Birmingham...Stafford....I knew them all!
    When I left the Midlands a year or so I ago they must have lost a lot of business!

10. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I'm sure the Druckers in the Bull Ring is still open- I had a hot chocolate there a few weeks ago.

11. Will check tomorrow and let you know LL. Am a sucker for a hot chocolate!

12. If you go to The Mail Box you can visit a handful of designer shops, a Harvey Nicks and some other nice places as well as a selection of lovely bars and restaurants - all with a view of the canal (which on a day with good weather can be nice).

Enjoy x

13. Hi
    For retail therepy u should go to bull ring.. places like alum rock are mainly for asian wedding shopping but no harm in looking around I guess.
    I would also suggest Star City to wind down after a long day of shopping; it is a huge complex with a cimema and Nando's!

Enjoy Brum, i always do!

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That's cruel Baubs.

Whilst Alum Rock would provide a fairly unique retail experience (is Redifusion stil there)? I would stick with the Bull ring, the pallisades and the Pavillions. All withing walking distance of each other.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well there will be quite a few Brummies in London this weekend given the Blues are at Wembley!

Aston Hall, The Museum and Art gallery is always worth a visit. The Barber Institute is another very good art gallery.

16. Don't forget Cadbury's World choc yum!

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sarehole Mill in Hall Green was one of the inspirations for Tolkien (who lived over the road) together with Mosely Bog adjacent which was 'middle earth'! Free admission to the Mill as well (And Aston Hall IIRC). Thinktank is a half decent industry and science museum but not a patch on the one it replaced unfortunatly.

18. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I'm very jealous of your trip to Brum, I used to live there for uni and my first job as an NQT and I miss the city a lot! The shopping there is fab, much nicer than in Munich where I live now. I would have a nice lunch dowe by the Canal around Brindley place way, then walk from there into town and hit the Mailbox, then the Bullring and spend far too much money that I don't have!

19. Perhaps Alum Rock might not be your cup of tea but on a nice hot day it is a fantastic place to be. The sights, smells and sounds make you think you could be in some Islamabad market place....until you come across an old M&B pub which seems strandley incongruous with the surroundings.

20. Go to the Mailbox, although there are lovely and pricey shops, the restaurants and bars by the canal are lovely, There's a great atmosphere at night. :)[​IMG]