1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shopping Advice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by adamse1, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    Bit of advice needed, and was hoping one of you wise people could help!!
    I bought my partner a trimmer/shaver thing for xmas. It has now died! Won't charge, nothing. TYPICAL!
    The reciept has grown a pair of legs and walked off somewhere, I'm adamant its still in the flat, but goodness only knows where.
    I know when the transaction took place, and have found the info on bank statement, and it was bought at Boots so have my advantage card which was also used.
    I was told yesterday by someone, if I go into store with the bank statement, they should be able to look up the transaction. Is that correct? I don't want money back, just an exchange, and surely lasting two months is against some sale of goods act and fit for purpose? (it wasn't used much, OH dislikes shaving :-( )
    Can anyone tell me, is it correct what i was told?
    Thanks for your time,

mimi

2. Hi All,
    Bit of advice needed, and was hoping one of you wise people could help!!
    I bought my partner a trimmer/shaver thing for xmas. It has now died! Won't charge, nothing. TYPICAL!
    The reciept has grown a pair of legs and walked off somewhere, I'm adamant its still in the flat, but goodness only knows where.
    I know when the transaction took place, and have found the info on bank statement, and it was bought at Boots so have my advantage card which was also used.
    I was told yesterday by someone, if I go into store with the bank statement, they should be able to look up the transaction. Is that correct? I don't want money back, just an exchange, and surely lasting two months is against some sale of goods act and fit for purpose? (it wasn't used much, OH dislikes shaving :-( )
    Can anyone tell me, is it correct what i was told?
    Thanks for your time,

mimi

3. The item is faulty and not fit for purpose so should be exchanged.
    Thankfully you bought it in boots and they have a very customer friendly policy!

4. Boots are normally quite good for customer service and I think youd be fine to get a replacement, regardless of whether you've got a receipt or not. Perhaps give them a ring first?

5. You should not even need a bank statement ... if you still have the same card and know the date or thereabouts ... they can look it up

TBH I have always found Boots customer service to be great and imagine they may even replace it without bothering to look up

6. I would say Boots customer service is too good!
    When my friend used to work in there it was well known that people would steal things one week and return them for a refund the next week with no proof of purchase.

7. Thought that only happened at good old M&S

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If I recall correctly proof of purchase is only required if a refund is required and then it is at the shops discretion, i.e. if you made an error, they may choose to help you out or not.
    If the item itself faulty, not as described etc. then they are duty bound by law to replace it or refund you depending on what you choose without your having to provide proof of purchase.
    Not all shop staff know these things however and if you have a receipt then it helps things go much more smoothly.

9. Just got home, with a brand new trimmer thing that he spent forever choosing! And, I now have a clean shaven OH. Yippee!!!!
    They were really helpful, and it wasn't a problem at all. [​IMG]
    Thanks all!

10. Oh dear, now I have that embarrassed feeling that one gets if one keeps talking when the other person has left the room/forum

Good [​IMG]

11. I'm still here, and the first thing I did when I got home was check for responses that weren't there when I left (is that pathetic?)

12. No, no, no, of course not, no, not at all, no